Nutrient control help!!!

Diazcm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, just want to ask if running GFO and one of those bio-plates be to much nutrient control for a reef tank? My nitrates are at 0 and phos at 0.06 wondering if removing one of these would help bring nitrates up a bit. Thanks

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nutrients are already very low. Removing the gfo will bring up the po4. It won't effect the nitrates.
If the tank looks good I wouldn't worry about the nitrates and bio plates.

OP
OP
Diazcm

Diazcm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nutrients are already very low. Removing the gfo will bring up the po4. It won't effect the nitrates.
If the tank looks good I wouldn't worry about the nitrates and bio plates.
some corals look good some do not. i've read alot that some nutrients is beneficial to reef tanks and i'm concerned that i may have stripped out to much and that's maybe why some of my SPS are not extending and losing some color. this part for me is a little confusing

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some corals look good some do not. i've read alot that some nutrients is beneficial to reef tanks and i'm concerned that i may have stripped out to much and that's maybe why some of my SPS are not extending and losing some color. this part for me is a little confusing
Your phosphate is ok and I would leave the GFO in place because low is good, but I would maybe increase your nitrates by feeding more as your water is to sterile/clean probably for the corals. Maybe start using some form of coral food like Red Sea Reef Energy etc and you will probably find they look much better. I’ve personally found my reef looks much healthier at around 5-10ppm Nitrate and very low, 0.03ppm phosphate.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. It's really tough. Add in, some corals really just do better in an established tank. Makes it totally confusing.

Yes you are correct, you could be stripping the water a bit too much.
IMO , make changes slowly. Pull the gfo, see how it does. Then in a while, feed just a bit more.
But don't imo at the same time change light and drastically change flow. Wait to see what happens. Changing one thing in the whole system for one coral (or. Three) is a rabbit hole.
The plates at some point when the tank ages might come in very handy.

OP
OP
Diazcm

Diazcm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phosphate is ok and I would leave the GFO in place because low is good, but I would maybe increase your nitrates by feeding more as your water is to sterile/clean probably for the corals. Maybe start using some form of coral food like Red Sea Reef Energy etc and you will probably find they look much better. I’ve personally found my reef looks much healthier at around 5-10ppm Nitrate and very low, 0.03ppm phosphate.
I feed my coral reef roids twice a week. I will try and feed my fish everyday now instead of every other day cause a few months ago i had a real bad algae outbreak cause of to much feeding and i'm terrified to get another bloom. i'll give it a try and monitor closely Thank you
Yea. It's really tough. Add in, some corals really just do better in an established tank. Makes it totally confusing.

Yes you are correct, you could be stripping the water a bit too much.
IMO , make changes slowly. Pull the gfo, see how it does. Then in a while, feed just a bit more.
But don't imo at the same time change light and drastically change flow. Wait to see what happens. Changing one thing in the whole system for one coral (or. Three) is a rabbit hole.
The plates at some point when the tank ages might come in very handy.
Will do, i'll start by feeding fish the little more and see how it goes from there.
Is cheato necessary if plates are present? reason i ask is to make a safe heaven for pods and remove phos hopefully eleimate the use of GFO in the future Thank you

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my coral reef roids twice a week. I will try and feed my fish everyday now instead of every other day cause a few months ago i had a real bad algae outbreak cause of to much feeding and i'm terrified to get another bloom. i'll give it a try and monitor closely Thank you

Will do, i'll start by feeding fish the little more and see how it goes from there.
Is cheato necessary if plates are present? reason i ask is to make a safe heaven for pods and remove phos hopefully eleimate the use of GFO in the future Thank you
Keep doing what you're doing. And watch how the tank responds over time honestly. You could see good chato growth once the gfo is gone. Bonus.

And fwiw, if you see an algae bloom coming , shop for more cuc. I've seen stupid high nutrient tanks and algae success was due to livestock choices. Plain and simple

Stupid high. Lol.

OP
OP
Diazcm

Diazcm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep doing what you're doing. And watch how the tank responds over time honestly. You could see good chato growth once the gfo is gone. Bonus.

And fwiw, if you see an algae bloom coming , shop for more cuc. I've seen stupid high nutrient tanks and algae success was due to livestock choices. Plain and simple

Stupid high. Lol.
LOL. Thank you

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 62 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back