nutrient control

LuckyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so recently i’ve been running into some issues with high nitrates and high phosphates and i think because of this was due to me over feeding both fish and coral. i’ve been doing a regular 20% water change and also have added a ball of chaeto. i’ve also started to dose nopox as well and ive been heading in the right direction. A week ago my phosphates were at 80ppm and nitrates were 100+ ppm my lfs hanna tester maxed out at 100 so god knows if it was higher but recently today after doing a 30% water change my phosphates are currently at 64 ppm and nitrates are at 11.4 ppm. I’m just concerned that my nitrate is coming down more than my phosphates are and i don’t know how to fix that.

bkwonnn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m struggling also with my nano.
1 time a little too much roids and phosphate trough the roof. Change carbon every other week and i Would stop with roids. Skimmer also helps. Be carefull with chemical phosphate removal because that usually causes all kind of algae issues and other imbalances

OP
OP
L

LuckyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i’m in the same boat with my 35 gal, since transitioning from a canister to a sump and skimmer i just thought it was okay to just dump food in thinking the skimmer would take care of it which wasn’t the case entirely lol. i’m just wondering an optimum range to keep my nutrients at so i don’t keep running into these issues

Attachments

• IMG_1791.jpeg
    IMG_1791.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 33

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which test kit for po4?
Water changes will reduce nitrate more than phosphate, since rock and substrate bind po4. The bound po4 gets released into the water after a change.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which test kit for po4?
Water changes will reduce nitrate more than phosphate, since rock and substrate bind po4. The bound po4 gets released into the water after a change.
Is it just me or does that tank not look to have a nutrient problem. Hard to see in blue light but the sump is almost spotless, rocks and sand look to be just a few months old.. I question test results

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back