OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Nowadays, with the addition of so many products to 'fix anything' (and so little known about possible long term consequences to the microbial communities)...let's just say that things are 'different' and leave it at that.”

Above quote is from someone else on this thread. For certain, I agree 100%, yet I want to quote Mother Nature when she was fooled in a fake butter commercial and in an instant, a beautiful Spring day turned into lightening & hail, then Mother Nature said; “It’s not Nice to Fool [Mother Nature]”!!!

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s 24 hours since I moved dual 55G stand. Not sure how many pods survived the RIP clean. As I transferred some live rock back into the tank, I saw a few pods scurry off.
48 hours after RIP

I continue to add back . Also manicured some sponges moved from different tanks.

SPONGEBOB needed a toothbrush.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Nowadays, with the addition of so many products to 'fix anything' (and so little known about possible long term consequences to the microbial communities)...let's just say that things are 'different' and leave it at that.”

Above quote is from someone else on this thread. For certain, I agree 100%, yet I want to quote Mother Nature when she was fooled in a fake butter commercial and in an instant, a beautiful Spring day turned into lightening & hail, then Mother Nature said; “It’s not Nice to Fool [Mother Nature]”!!!
LOL, you are dating yourself Patrick. It's only us older folks who remember that margarine commercial.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
72 hours after RIP and tank relocation:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Musings from the Couch

Nutrient management comes in many flavors; I prefer Recycle.

As an avid Gardner, I am all about growing the soil. To grow the soil means organic biodiversity. Prior to man’s arrival on planet Earth, soil biodiversity provided diverse nutrient pathways to process inorganic nutrients in the soil using biochemistry. Because of destructive agriculture processes over the centuries, the organic carbon that was sequestered in Mother Terra migrated into the atmosphere as inorganic carbon dioxide.

Because I believe in the principal of sustainability, I choose to embrace nutrient recycling instead of nutrient export. To that end, I research the holistic nature of ecosystems to understand how they work And I am like a kid in the candy store with consuming knowledge.

As I learn more, I realize how little I know.

To maintain a sustainable system requires recycling and for that, I emulate Nature. Current research looks at the coral reef as an interconnected & dependant ecosystem called the Coral Holibiont, where bacteria crosstalk to enhance their enviromental conditions, which is gene expression.

While I don’t know the language of bacteria crosstalk, instead I observe bioindicators of the crosstalk. With that said, I enjoy the finesse of interpreting bioindicators and finding appropriate actions, such as enjoying the beauty of display tank.

@brandon429
I did a RIP clean on three year mature 55G tank. The process was done to enable moving dual 55G aquarium stand to kitchen alcove.. During the process, all sand was removed to allow installation of reverse flow undergravel filter.

All desirables that would suffer were put into healthy operating systems.

These pictures are 24 hours after starting the process.

This phrase makes more sense than ever to me now:
"I choose to embrace nutrient recycling instead of nutrient export."

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This phrase makes more sense than ever to me now:
"I choose to embrace nutrient recycling instead of nutrient export."
After looking at your Jaubert Plenum in a bowl, I say awesome on your achievement.

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking at your Jaubert Plenum in a bowl, I say awesome on your achievement.

You helped me a lot in the journey! You have a share of this achievement!

Im trying to introduce macros again as my crabs did eat them all. Do you keep emeralds too, right?

I found this particular way to hold algaes wrap in a sponge in the instagram of a japanese guy.

1000049637.jpg

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have numerous emerald crabs. Understand this, in a 75G display, the herbivores get plenty to eat.

Is that Gracilaria Hayi in the blue sponge?

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it amusing that on this thread we are talking about adding algae in our display tanks and I left a thread where the fight was what ATS did for algae elimination in display.

Considering that I am skimmerless & sumpless, I let others (bacteria, algae & sponges) manage the system.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In viewing a thread on RC about using phytoplankton dosing to reduce nutrients, this video was shared. It’s very informative,

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefkeeping Fundamentals is a book that raises the standard of what a hobbyist can achieve. The author, Angel Ceggara, deep dives into the science and technology behind the creation of a complete ecosystem within our home. Fundamental issues are reviewed, dispelling myths and providing a rigorous, useful and innovative view.

The guide explores aspects such as coral classification, aquarium type, water circulation, lighting, aquascaping, feeding, fish and coral quarantine, seawater composition and algae pests. The reader will find the information needed to achieve a mature and stable system, correctly establish the food web and consolidate an optimal nutrient flow. An excellent guide with best practices recommendations to get to the next level.

The volume includes numerous underwater photographs of fish, corals and invertebrates in their natural habitat, as well as technical descriptions of some reference set ups, as inspiration for each personal project. A YouTube channel, accessed via QR codes within the book, shows microscopic organisms that inhabit reef aquariums, explanations of specific equipment, and personal interviews with leading hobbyists. A high value proposition, never before included in a single book.

@Beuchat introduced below thread on Christmas.
I got involved in it as I had just been introduced to Angel on an article he posted on r2r.

Angel,
Your book, reef fundamentals arrives tomorrow. I have been privileged to certain areas of the book and after 53 years of Reefing addiction, I found a kindred spirit.

If convienient, bring wisdom to this thread.
Patrick

PS: This is a focus that I seek in my marine ecosystems and was highlighted on Amazon review

“The reader will find the information needed to achieve a mature and stable system, correctly establish the food web and consolidate an optimal nutrient flow. An excellent guide with best practices recommendations to get to the next level”

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle worms are beneficial detrivores.

The white scale on your heater is calcium carbonate. Due to elevated temperature on surface of heater, the water has exceeded its concentration of carbonate/bicarbonate alkalinity.

Because you are in a marine environment with your reef tank, you should seek to understand the laws of Nature. Carbon dioxide as a gas in the atmosphere will seek equilibrium with total carbonate alkalinity. On the opposite side of this dynamic equilibrium is limestone sediments (calcium carbonate) which buffers the alkalinity on the opposite side of pH.

I don’t need better photos to know your tank needs a robust crew of janitors, which includes you as the environmental steward.

From a classical thermodynamics point of view, your ecosystem is degrading into Chaos: ENTROPY

Today at 3:18 AM

PS: In a conversation with @Oiseau a native of French speaking Montreal, I realized the relevance of September 1972 class at Texas Maritime Academy in Oceaneering 101 which illustrated classic Thermodynamics of Dynamic Equilibrium the First & Second LAWS OF THERMODYNAMICS.

Eisenstein was more succulent with: E = MC2

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, you are dating yourself Patrick. It's only us older folks who remember that margarine commercial.
I was born the year after TV was invented so I remember all commercials and have bristle worms older than 98.3% of everyone on here. :astonished-face:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back