Nutrient ratio

Gellisjr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested my nutrients today. Nitrate = 28.6 PPM & .316 PPM measured with Hanna checkers. I realize these numbers are considered high but they are still within the 10:1 ratio. Could these numbers still acceptable? The only thing I am noticing algae growth on the glass every couple days. I have a brand new algae reactor installed has been up and running for 1 week. Cheato is growing well with a 16 Hr photo period.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested my nutrients today. Nitrate = 28.6 PPM & .316 PPM measured with Hanna checkers. I realize these numbers are considered high but they are still within the 10:1 ratio. Could these numbers still acceptable? The only thing I am noticing algae growth on the glass every couple days. I have a brand new algae reactor installed has been up and running for 1 week. Cheato is growing well with a 16 Hr photo period.
Don't chase numbers. Let your tank tell you when something isn't right. My tank is doing fine and I'm way higher than that.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's actually roughly a 100:1 ratio
Ratios are mostly meaningless.
Also, those numbers aren't especially high.

OP
OP
G

Gellisjr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you keep hard corals?
Yes I have a mixed reef. It is mostly LPS softie dominant right now. I want to add some more SPS to the tank but before I do this I am working on lowering Nutrients & stabilizing them. I am getting better at it. The SPS that I currently have in the tank are surviving I just haven't seen much growth other than some puddling out on the frag plugs. I have a Forest fire montipora, Milka stylo frag, green slimmer and another unknown Acro. In a perfect situation I am trying to get to a 10 :1 Redfield ratio of 10 PPM Nitrates & .100 PPM Phosphates. I am just a little confused about the ratio because by my calculations these numbers I have equal a 10 to .1 ratio as they are. I just don't, know how much I should keep pushing or is this where the tank wants to be? The tank is well established and has been up and running for just over a year now. Just don't want to chase a number I am not going to beablebto achive.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have a mixed reef. It is mostly LPS softie dominant right now. I want to add some more SPS to the tank but before I do this I am working on lowering Nutrients & stabilizing them. I am getting better at it. The SPS that I currently have in the tank are surviving I just haven't seen much growth other than some puddling out on the frag plugs. I have a Forest fire montipora, Milka stylo frag, green slimmer and another unknown Acro. In a perfect situation I am trying to get to a 10 :1 Redfield ratio of 10 PPM Nitrates & .100 PPM Phosphates. I am just a little confused about the ratio because by my calculations these numbers I have equal a 10 to .1 ratio as they are. I just don't, know how much I should keep pushing or is this where the tank wants to be? The tank is well established and has been up and running for just over a year now. Just don't want to chase a number I am not going to beablebto achive.

The Redfield Ratio is not 10:1 It is a ratio of carbon to nitrogen to phosphorus at 106:16:1.

OP
OP
G

Gellisjr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sir you are correct. My mistake. Thank you for the correction. I must have gotten it confused with reading it or seeing it when the ratio of Nitrate to Phosphoru was being discussed.

OP
OP
G

Gellisjr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Redfield Ratio is not 10:1 It is a ratio of carbon to nitrogen to phosphorus at 106:16:1.
Yes sir you are correct. My mistake. Thank you for the correction. I admit I did not fact check before posting. I obviously have it confused with the proper term while I was reaserching for information about nutrients and ways to lower them.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sir you are correct. My mistake. Thank you for the correction. I admit I did not fact check before posting. I obviously have it confused with the proper term while I was reaserching for information about nutrients and ways to lower them.
Not your mistake there is way to much misinformation out there about it.

This is a good article from Mike Paletta did a few years ago. You can look at the wide range of levels their tanks were at.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 28.7%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back