Nutrient remover pad or chemi-pure?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve always used Chemi-Pure. But I just realized how much cheaper the pads are. Do they work exactly the same/do as good a job? I would run that and then just add carbon instead of Chemi-Pure as it’s more expensive. I noticed IceCap makes these pads and BRS is selling them now. So thinking about maybe changing to a pad and purigen because it’s more cost effective.

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never could decide (or measure) the absorbtion values between carbon, Chemipure, PolyFilter especially with regards to mechanical waste removal. Water quality clean up values are not easily measured unless you are looking at a single parameter and measure very carefully making sure 1 gram of carbon is competing against 1 gram of Chemipure, for example to figure out which one is best, or most cost effective.

I have never watched a BRS video in case they have done these tests but I hear the most expensive options (that they carry) were generally the most approved?

I know this isn't helpful really but its the only answer I have got.

Also, are you trying to collect dirt or remove nutrients, or ? If you name a parameter(s) you are trying to collect folks may have a more specific answer as to efficacy and cost.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back