Nutrients question (Canadians)

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any bulk options ppl are using for nitrogen and phosphate rather than buying millions of bottle of fauna Marin P and N?

My system sucks up the nutrients like a pig. I don’t even run a skimmer anymore and regularly crop chaeto and caulerpa, but still using the filter roller(should I remove it and go back to socks )

I feed heavy in my 250 system , but it’s unreal how much nutrient is being used up daily.

The only pest algae is coralline(which isn’t a pest in my eyes)

I should also note that my system is stocked quite heavy with fish as well.

DT has:

7” chocolate tang

5” sailfin

5” purple tang

8” foxface

3.5” kole tang

3” melanarus

2.5” leopard

2.5” fairy wrasse

Flame hawk , clowns , algae blenny, coral beauty, talbot, a few neon gobies , 1 sixline, 2 mandarins, 3 dart fish

Refugium has:
2 skunk clowns
Sixline

Any help appreciated , thanks

OP
OP
Mechano

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add, if any Canadians know of a source on a more economical option is what I’m after please. We Canadians are always deprived of available items for our tanks (Eg. Meds, chemicals etc)

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't dose nitrate but for phosphate I use trisodium phosphate.

Make a solution of 1.88 grams mixed into 1000 ml of water. 1ml of that will increase 100 litres of tank water by .01 ppm

legalizedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your corals doing? The reason I ask is because I have never, not once detected phosphate in my system (Hanna ULR, Salifert)

That used to scare me a lot. I always thought Dino’s were around the corner, but they’ve never came. I feed like crazy. My fish are super spoiled with a frozen mix. I also feed KZ coral vitalizer every night. My Monti’s I can almost watch grow and my acros colored up a lot and are finally throwing new branches out after just encrusting for months and months

I do believe the filter roller is my reason why. I think it’s just far too good at removing things before they break down. However, I’m never going back to filter socks.

OP
OP
Mechano

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't dose nitrate but for phosphate I use trisodium phosphate.

Make a solution of 1.88 grams mixed into 1000 ml of water. 1ml of that will increase 100 litres of tank water by .01 ppm
Do u have a link to the source u buy it from in Canada? Thanks

OP
OP
Mechano

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your corals doing? The reason I ask is because I have never, not once detected phosphate in my system (Hanna ULR, Salifert)

That used to scare me a lot. I always thought Dino’s were around the corner, but they’ve never came. I feed like crazy. My fish are super spoiled with a frozen mix. I also feed KZ coral vitalizer every night. My Monti’s I can almost watch grow and my acros colored up a lot and are finally throwing new branches out after just encrusting for months and months

I do believe the filter roller is my reason why. I think it’s just far too good at removing things before they break down. However, I’m never going back to filter socks.
Corals are doing great, fish are doing great, I also feed frozen daily and also coral food at night.
I do notice very minimal LCA(Dino’s) on the sand but nothing major (the main reason I always keep my nutrients in check—-been there, done that, don’t wanna repeat it lol)

I am starting to think it’s true though that we filter rollers are just too efficient. Might need to try that without one () for a few weeks and see if there is a difference. But let’s face it, it’s so dang convenient having one for ditritus. Ugh

legalizedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are doing great, fish are doing great, I also feed frozen daily and also coral food at night.
I do notice very minimal LCA(Dino’s) on the sand but nothing major (the main reason I always keep my nutrients in check—-been there, done that, don’t wanna repeat it lol)

I am starting to think it’s true though that we filter rollers are just too efficient. Might need to try that without one () for a few weeks and see if there is a difference. But let’s face it, it’s so dang convenient having one for ditritus. Ugh
I don’t know which one you have but I use the Reefmat and recently I set it to dispense less new mat each time the water level switch is triggered. I figured if my nutrients are undetectable I might as well slow down the roller and get more out of a roll

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a suggestion, I only use skimmer and activated carbon. I have no roller, socks or fuge or UV or GFO or scrubber etc…
If you decide to make change just do it slow so you don’t mess things up.
If your corals are growing they should be the main filter…

Good luck,

OP
OP
Mechano

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know which one you have but I use the Reefmat and recently I set it to dispense less new mat each time the water level switch is triggered. I figured if my nutrients are undetectable I might as well slow down the roller and get more out of a roll
I have the the klir which I’m not in love with but gets the job done. But I may just remove it and see how the system runs without it for a few weeks as a trial. (The thought of filter socks again lol)

OP
OP
Mechano

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a suggestion, I only use skimmer and activated carbon. I have no roller, socks or fuge or UV or GFO or scrubber etc…
If you decide to make change just do it slow so you don’t mess things up.
If your corals are growing they should be the main filter…

Good luck,
Your suggest has merit but I do have fish and inverts in my refugium and it’s a pod factory big time. I just can’t shut it down haha. Too cool having it.
I think at this point I will remove the roller mat and keep on dosing for the time being and give it a try.

Maybe it’s time to throw in a shark or dolphin or something to help increase nutrients haha J/k

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back