Nuvo 10 parameters

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening,

My Nuvo 10 has been up and running since the beginning of July. Went through the ugly phase as expected (still got some uglies going on) and I've taken it slow on adding coral. The stock list is finalized at a pair of Wheeler's gobies and their pistol, a yellow banded possum, a tail spot blenny and a geometric pygmy hawk. For coral it has a nice sized frag of neon green toadstool, a good size green nepthea, a small sheet of GSP on the back wall and a single orange mushroom. In addition to that I've got a small squamosa, a small/medium sized derasa and 3 small BTA (used to be 1 but it decided 3 was more fun). There's also a small emerald crab, a small conch, a handful of snails and a single blue leg hermit.

I'm currently looking to start adding some more coral to the tank but wanted to check on the parameters as I'm a little concerned by the low readings on the PO4 and NO3 and with this being my first true nano tank I want to make sure I'm not going to be wasting money on coral that are going to have issues. I'm also assuming it's the clams that are sucking up the mag/cal/alk as well. Salt is red sea blue bucket (but considering changing to something else). The parameters have been fairly consistent over the last couple months following the cycle, I had planned to move the hawk to my other tank if it was too much for the Nuvo 10 but things seem ok. PO4 and NO3 have all been consistently low, only recently has the NO3 started reading 0. I have a hard time thinking that either are actually that low and wondering if it's the little bit of algae growth I've got going on that's sucking it up and giving a false low reading. RO water is 0 TDS coming out.

The only other thing in the tank is 4 red mangrove sprouts that I keep in the media basket. But I can't imagine they'd be doing that well of a job sucking up nutrients from the water. I've always been lead to believe that they're not the best idea for a refugium because of their poor nutrient uptake. For what it's worth, I'm seeing growth out of everything with the parameters the way they've been. Just looking to head off any potential issues.

Parameters as of about 30 minutes ago using Red Sea test kits for everything but salinity and temp. Salinity and temp measured using Hannah tester.

Temp 78
Salinity 1.025
PH 8.6
DKH 7
PO4 0.01
NO3 0.0
Cal 400
Mag 1200

These readings are consistent and are taken with multiple daily pellet feedings (I alternate between Omega One marine mini pellets, New Life Spectrum Probiotix and PE Mysis PE pellets) as well as daily small feedings of frozen brine, mysis or LRS Reef Frenzy (I alternate here as well).

OP
OP
Tmm87

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you fit all of that in a 10gallon tank? (alk seems a bit low).

The clams are still small, fish are all small. I have plans to relocate once things outgrow and already have an established system up and running to move things into. It's where the few frags that are in there came from.

Alk seems low to me as well, but again, not concerned with what's in the tank for stock, but the parameters. The stock was listed so that there's full transparency.

OP
OP
Tmm87

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's how it looks currently.

Attachments

• 20201015_172259.jpg
    20201015_172259.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 39

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your w/c routine? Filtration?

Those numbers seem amazing for the stock and amount of feedings you do?

OP
OP
Tmm87

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your w/c routine? Filtration?

Those numbers seem amazing for the stock and amount of feedings you do?
Two small packs of chemipure blue in the basket, I swap out the filter floss as soon as it gets gross and bi-weekly water changes of about 2 gallons.

This is why I'm a little concerned about the numbers myself. Seems too good to be true. I keep my other tank somewhat "dirty" for the BTAs. I'm really bad about testing that tank but last time I did it was around 35ppm nitrate. It only gets monthly water changes (if that sometimes. Maintenance on that tank went out the window when I hurt my arm and I haven't gotten back into a routine for it yet).

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They must be right then as you don’t seem to have an algae issue that would be covering up the numbers.

Wish you had done a build thread I would be following it!

I have a 14g, only 3 fish, feed a lot too, but my numbers are no way near as good as yours, PO4 .1 no3 15, with w/c of around 35% a week.

OP
OP
Tmm87

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They must be right then as you don’t seem to have an algae issue that would be covering up the numbers.

Wish you had done a build thread I would be following it!

I have a 14g, only 3 fish, feed a lot too, but my numbers are no way near as good as yours, PO4 .1 no3 15, with w/c of around 35% a week.

Maybe I'll throw one together here soon. Not sure if it still counts as a build thread. I was putting this tank together as a desk tank while I recovered from my arm surgery.

Attachments

• 20201121_164107.jpg
    20201121_164107.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20201113_164231~2.jpg
    20201113_164231~2.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
Tmm87

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice. I forget sometimes how small some stuff can be. my leather is about 2 feet/square

That's about how big the main one was originally, but it keeps fragging itself and I give those pieces away. Should probably start selling them honestly, but meh.

Back