Plastic (Tupperware) Absorbing Nitrates?!

BuddhaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, weird question!

Does anyone know any chemical reaction that would allow plastic containers to absorb NO3 over about an hour?

I test my water at home and get NO3 at roughly 26. Some mornings I don't have time to test before work, so I collect a sample in a small Tupperware and bring it to work to test (work at a LFS.) The water then tests at roughly 12, after about an hour of transport in plastic.

Test is preformed with the same Hanna HR NO3 checker. I have rechecked both times this has happened, and the results are the same. This happens within the same day, as in;
Test in the AM at work, test reads ~12
Test in the PM, straight from tank, test reads ~26

Thanks for any input!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm interesting and I can't answer. Only thing I will say is I try to be consistent when I test as far as time, containers used to hold samples etc. Also nitrate really isn't important enough to test daily much less take a sample to work to test later unless you have something going on like dosing nitrates maybe which then consistent testing time would be important, at least IMO.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%

Back