Nuvo 40 Aquaforest reef

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by goober, Jan 1, 2018.

1. goober

goober Member Build Thread Contributor

Well the battle with cyano is over. Took around 6 days for it to clear up after changing my media. I blame the ALK swing due to a phosphate spike while I was away. My GFO was depleted the week before I left which caused the spike.

I figure the spike in phosphate also caused my ALK to drop to the 6.1 reading I got when I returned. I replaced my GFO and reduced my phosphates back down. ALK shot from 7.3 to 7.9 in a couple days. My sps looked really stressed from the swing and I had to cut half my bird of paradise off due to some STN. The other half is making a recovery. Obviously Swinging from 7.3 to 6.1 then up to 7.9 over the course of 10 days is not what I wanted however I have stabilized the system again.

Lots of lessons to be learned while dealing with 40g of total water volume. The swing's and changes inside the tank happen real fast with not much time to react.

2. goober

goober Member Build Thread Contributor

I got some cheap frags after cycling to see how SPS would react in my tank. Shortly after getting this one I decided to chop it up because I didn't like how skimpy and stretched out it was. Here is a 5 month journey of this frag. Pictures were taken in day lights however this guy really glows in the blues.

September 20th:

[​IMG]
    I had a hard time finding a good place for this frag
    December 11th:

[​IMG]
    Chopped up and growing strong
    February 11th:

[​IMG]
    Love the results!​

Draft saved Draft deleted