Nylon 66 Safe For Aquarium Use?

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are thousands of pigments available made a huge variety of chemicals. When it comes to reef safe plastics I prefer to stick carbon black pigmented plastic or natural. Nylon 66 in the natural coloration is the safest bet, but I'm sure there are also hundred of other safe colorations just depending on the pigment used. Pigment 7 a common green color contains chlorine for example, pigment green 50 contains zinc, cobalt, nickel and titanium. The materials used vary depending on the color they are trying to achieve. I think black is commonly used because it's both aesthetically valuable but also it's frequently organic carbon based for it's pigment.

How dangerous or toxic the various plastics realistically are depends on what it's exactly composed of and what you're trying to keep. Anthony Calfo reported issues with using Brute Trashcans when attempting to rear larva in them. They are otherwise considered reef-safe and regularly used by many hobbyists though. I would consider them reef-safe but I wouldn't tell someone a breeding project that they are safe to use.

Back