Oceanic Biocube 29 PC Light Bulbs

rigore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone!

I need a little advice on bulb replacement for a Oceanic Biocube 29. The tank has been running for a little over a year and the bulbs are due a change. My problem is I can't find the Coralife daylight bulb and after calling them they confirmed they have discontinued them. I can still find the actinic online but I have been running a 50/50 mix and want to replicate what I have been doing.

The Coralife daylight is 10K and I have found some generic 6.5K at 25% of what I used to pay for the Coralife daylight PC bulb. The question is will these sustain the corals and give me a similar look?

My first thoughts are to move to LED's but the tank may only be going for a couple more months, I have a Seareefer 250 waiting to be set up. I also don't feel like hacking up the top or making a screen for the tank, to be honest I don't want to dump any more cash into it, so if the bulb would work I would have $25.00 or so in two bulbs.

QeSPCNTl.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
R

rigore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for checking on availability of the 50/50.

I am currently running one daylight and one actinic.

I was hoping that I could get some help on going with a 6.5K daylight PC bulb versus the 10K PC bulb and the differences. Most of the research I have found on a comparison relates to metal halide bulbs.

I suppose kelvin is kelvin regardless but I am not 100% sure.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was hoping that I could get some help on going with a 6.5K daylight PC bulb versus the 10K PC bulb and the differences. Most of the research I have found on a comparison relates to metal halide bulbs.

I've seen some reefer's use a GE 6500K in a large mix of t5's back in the day, on acro reefs, but seems like it might spike some algae with that color spectrum.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

FYI, you can use all actinic bulbs for most things. I ran all actinic in mine over the last year.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back