Oceanic Salt problems

lawnman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok so here is a quick summary.Been in the hobby 2-3 years and have always used Oceanic salt.From my biocube 29 to my Elos mini with no problems.2 weeks ago I upgraded to a 75 gallon rimless tank with a 20 gallon sump.I rinsed my dry sand 10-15 times before I put it in.Got everything good to go used old water from my Elos and picked up a new bucket of Oceanic salt to make some new water yes it is RODI 2 TDS.So 1st day tank is cloudy now on the 14th day tank is still cloudy.I have done a few water changes but remains cloudy.Now to the Oceanic salt I have this residue left in my mixing brute tub.In my tank I have this NASTY oily film on the surface.Surface agitation moves it around but it does not disappear.When I do a water change and add the water back to the tank it bubbles up like soapy water.Anyone had this problem with Oceanic recently?So I decided to switch salts today and went with Seachems Aquavitro salt. I did a 5 gallon water change and the surface scum is gone by 85% but water is still cloudy.When I drain the water down in my display for a water change there is this white slimy film where the water use to be.I wipe the rim with a paper towel and it is brown slime on the towel.This is just crazy never had anything like this with Oceanic salt.

zoous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm.... I use oceanic salt as well but never believed I had that problem before. Can it be the container your using to mix the salt?

OP
OP
lawnman

lawnman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nope it is a Brute tub.I clean it out all the time.I have used plenty of tubs and buckets of Oceanic before.I just picked this bucket up 2 weeks ago from Premium Aquatics.My new Seachem salt is fine just this bucket of Oceanic.The surface looked like a oil slick.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you slowly adding the salt to the water or dumping the salt in and adding water?
Any salt can "flash" if its not added and mixed correctly. Add the water first then slowly meter in the salt so it has time to dissolve.

I've used Oceanic for almost 9 years now and never had a problem, its easily the best mixing salt I've ever used and I've tried most. My only complaint is low alkalinity but the extra calcium makes up for that.

OP
OP
lawnman

lawnman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep AZ I get my water to temp and then add a half a cup at a time to around 15-20 gallons of RODI.With a MJ 1200 and a Elos pump going. I am with you on the Oceanic salt I NEVER have had a problem in over 2 years. It is just this last bucket that was giving me problems.I know it is low in Alk but that was never a problem. I switched to Seachem Aquavitro did a 5 gallon change on my 75 yesterday and things cleared up.Did a 10 gallon change today and now everything is crystal clear. It was just crazy has me puzzled.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oceanic for years here also, never an issue. I have mixed a 5 gallon container and used it in my tank immediately and never had issues. Might be a bad batch.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back