Ocellaris Clowns spitting out food

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
I bought my first ever clowns two days ago!! Two teensie clowns :D They are about an inch long.
My issue is that when I tried to feed them they will snatch up the food and chase after it but will spit it back out. I tried calanus frozen cubes (only a little bit) and pellet food (itty bitty ones). They didnt want to eat either.
My goby gobbled up all the food once it got to him haha
Is this normal "they will eat when theyre hungry" thing, or should I be looking for other food options?

Thanks for all of your thoughts!

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine just mouthed the food for the first couple of days. They both ate by day 4. I was trying to feed mysis and other frozen options, but apparently they were only open to eating .5mm pellets :D

Joel B in FL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bought mine they were a little less than an inch long. I initially bought the smallest pellet size that new life spectrum carries (I think is is 1mm) and they would do the same thing. I think the pellets were just to big for their mouths and a little too hard for them to chew. I switched to I think it's Cobalt but can't be sure because I keep them in a small sealable Tupperware like container and threw away the packaging. But the Cobalt is much smaller probably about .5 as michellejy stated and they never spit those out.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal for newer clowns. You could try some Cyclopeeze, clowns usually love it and the particle size is perfect for young clowns. Mysis sometimes work well too.

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies!
I have some frozen baby brine shrimp (from my baby cichlids) that I could mix in with the calanus but my LFS said that they are not so good as a marine diet. Thoughts?

Oh and I have the smallest new life spectrum pellets, i can barely pick them out singly. lol

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not going hurt to try the frozen brine. Just do not make brine their primary diet long term.

michellejy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brine is basically candy for fish. As mentioned above, it is fine as long as it isn't their entire diet. :)

OP
OP
ahiggins

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The baby brine was wayyyy too messy so I stopped. They started eating the next day lol

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 8 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 70 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%
Back