OCTO Space Saver Skimmer CO2 Scrubber Recirculator

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
Wondering if any of you folks out there have an OCTO skimmer model that utilizes the space saving standpipe for adjustment but also runs a CO2 scrubber? I have added the CO2 scrubber from BRS and have gotten some very amazing results. In less than 24 hours, I went from 7.8 pH to 8.24. This leads me to believe that there is a serious amount of CO2 in my basement air. Regardless of that, I do not want to be changing this scrubber media every week. So, I am attempting to devise a method of recirculating air using this skimmer while still having the adjustability of the standpipe.

Had anyone been successful with a closed loop CO2 scrubber system on the OCTO 110SSS?

Here is my current setup. I just put the standpipe hose into the scrubber then into the air inlet on the skimmer pump.
1691236067056.png

I think I may use this octo lid, or just drill a hole into the current lid:
1691236210036.png

However, this does not solve the problem of attaching the line to the standpipe itself to form a true closed loop system. So I am going to print this cap I designed to adapt the standpipe top to a 3/8" barbed fitting:
1691236327668.png

mangolove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as my understandinging about co2 scrubbers goes : you can extend the duribility of the media by adding moisture, I think BRSTV has a good video about this on youtube.

I also must add that you could try extending the intake of the skimmer to the outside air, maybe you can quit using a co2 scrubber this way altogether.

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as my understandinging about co2 scrubbers goes : you can extend the duribility of the media by adding moisture, I think BRSTV has a good video about this on youtube.

I also must add that you could try extending the intake of the skimmer to the outside air, maybe you can quit using a co2 scrubber this way altogether.
I would love to extend the line to the outside air. However, because this tank is in the basement, the window itself is right near where gas powered lawn equipment will run frequently

mangolove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to extend the line to the outside air. However, because this tank is in the basement, the window itself is right near where gas powered lawn equipment will run frequently
Maybe use something like a pre filter or media reactor filled with carbon? They also use just a carbon dry bag with carbon whille running ozone.. or a posibility would be to treat the air in the basement but i dont know much about that haha

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m pretty sure the reef OCTO skimmer airline is just a hose that sits in the standpipe. You should be able to pull the hose out of the standpipe. Then it’s just a standard hose that you can connect your scrubber.

Unless I’m misreading your question, forget the standpipe and make a lid attachment -> scrubber -> skimmer intake line.

Im going to print a sit-on-top recirculating scrubber for my 110sss soon. If that shows promise and the media depletes too quickly, I’m going to love to exactly what you’re trying to do. Interested to see how it goes.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you guys doing to avoid excess moisture from getting into the media?

The foam goes up pretty high so I could see some of that getting sucked into the tubing and into the media before the float switch is triggered.

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are you guys doing to avoid excess moisture from getting into the media?

The foam goes up pretty high so I could see some of that getting sucked into the tubing and into the media before the float switch is triggered.
Some people put a moisture trap before the scrubber. I think “fish of hex” sells a commercial product, but you could diy one pretty easy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back