October Update on Outdoor Frag Tank (video) - o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

Here is an update on my outdoor frag tank. Been a long long hot summer - It's mid October and we are on our second day of 100+ degree temps.

But other than the power outage - which didn't affect the outside corals or fish - and we now have a whole house generator - the outdoor tanks are doing great.

People are always asking -- I have had the outdoor frag tanks since 2002. Sunlight is the best -I don't care what killer lights you just spent your kids college funds on - Sunlight will grow corals the fastest -- maybe not the craziest of colors -- but faster.

Dave B

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that you're in Southern California so rain may not be that big of an issue, but how do you keep dust and bugs out of the system?

OP
OP
o2manyfish

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that you're in Southern California so rain may not be that big of an issue, but how do you keep dust and bugs out of the system?

Nathaniel,

I don't worry about anything. The system is so big that nothing falling from Heaven has been a problem. When we have the forest fires I was worried. But when all the ASH rained down into the tank, within a few hours the corals were polyped up like never before. So since then I haven't worried.

This past summer I covered it only when we had 103+ temps for more than two days. The evaporative cooling keeps the system under 82 but I just don't want to take a chance if a fan fails or the Apex Farts.

Dave B

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back