New Frag Tank. When is it Ready for Acro

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for experience on coral introduction with a new frag tank. I put together a JBL 20 gal AIO stand alone frag tank. Gizmo’s all set up and working. Heater, skimmer, ATO, return pump, Jebao 25 wave maker powerhead and filter sock. Light is a ViparSpectra 165w fixture. I already have 2 Saphire damsels, small skunk shrimp and snails in the tank. Snails went in after the first algae appeared. Biofiltration is about 10 pounds of rubble live rock from my main tank sump. Initial water came from my main tank and doing weekly 2 gallon water changes. I have already introduced a Zoa test frag. It’s opened up and seems quite happy in the tank.

Tank parameters are: Temp 79, Salt 35.0, Alk 8.2, Cal 440, Mag 1460, NO3 5.0 and PO4 0.04.

The question. The tank is for excess Acro frags in my main tank. It’s been up and running for two weeks and parameters are stable and very close to my main tank. How long, if anytime, would it be appropriate to start introducing a few Acro frags? I’ve got some really strong frags from my big colonies I’m thinking about putting in now to see how they react to the new tank.
Thoughts on whether it’s okay or too early to put in a few Acro frags yet.

Here is the Zoa that‘s been in for a week. It’s in the corner where the PAR is about 165. It opened up two days after going in.
FullSizeRender.jpeg

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Answers will vary but my rule of thumb was when i see the first spec of corraline algae, its ready. Thats always worked out well for me. But im sure others have different opinions.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be honest I have no idea what is recommended ended. The last tank I started was February. Started bare bottom with dry rock. I used bottled bac (fritz 900) and a tray of rock rubble from my established rank. I added corals at around the two week mark well before I added fish. Everything did fine.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be honest I have no idea what is recommended ended. The last tank I started was February. Started bare bottom with dry rock. I used bottled bac (fritz 900) and a tray of rock rubble from my established rank. I added corals at around the two week mark well before I added fish. Everything did fine.
Thanks. Tank cycled immediately With all the live rock I put in. I started feeding the two damsels heavy to get the nutrients up and seems fine.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. Tank cycled immediately With all the live Fock I put in. I started feeding the two damsels heavy to get the nutrients up and seems fine.
Honestly if you keep doing water changes from your main DT i would say you would be able to put acros in there now.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly if you keep doing water changes from your main DT i would say you would be able to put acros in there now.
That’s what I’m thinking. Same water, same live rock and same parameters. Seems like they shouldn’t notice the difference except for stronger flow. That Jebao 25 might be a little strong for the tank size, but sure the Acro can handle it.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s what I’m thinking. Same water, same live rock and same parameters. Seems like they shouldn’t notice the difference except for stronger flow. That Jebao 25 might be a little strong for the tank size, but sure the Acro can handle it.
I agree parameters shouldnt really shift that much. Lights and flow probably the big difference.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure they'll be fine . I have a 3x2x2 ft tank with about 30 frags encrusting on the rocks. I'm running 2 MP40s, 2 MP10s, and 2 nero 5s . I watched a video of Jason fox and he said flow was more important than lighting. I figure he knows his stuff but I have a ton of light also just to be safe ;)

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree parameters shouldnt really shift that much. Lights and flow probably the big difference.
I'm sure they'll be fine . I have a 3x2x2 ft tank with about 30 frags encrusting on the rocks. I'm running 2 MP40s, 2 MP10s, and 2 nero 5s . I watched a video of Jason fox and he said flow was more important than lighting. I figure he knows his stuff but I have a ton of light also just to be safe ;)

Lol! Patience is not my strong suit since I spent a lot my life at over 600 mph. First one just went in. I may get me a second ViparSpectra for it. Just running the blue channel I can only get 400+ PAR in a small area in the center of the tank. Need more coverage.

First in.

IMG_3462.jpeg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience is not my strong suit since
Patience is probably the most important and most difficult thing I have learned in the hobby. I typically have the patience of a gnat . I know people get tired of hearing the saying "nothing but bad things happen fast in a reef tank" but it is so so true.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience is probably the most important and most difficult thing I have learned in the hobby. I typically have the patience of a gnat . I know people get tired of hearing the saying "nothing but bad things happen fast in a reef tank" but it is so so true.
Totally agree. My biggest hurtle is loving Tenuis Acro and watching them grow slower than everything else. Maybe I should play them rock music and make them watch high speed time lapse videos of coral growing. Push it up guys.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back