Octopus Coral - polyps closing

  • Thread starter Thread starter gobeach
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

gobeach

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 6, 2013
Messages
251
Reaction score
58
Location
Long Beach, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had an Octopus coral in my tank for at least 6 months now and it's been fairly healthy. It came from the LFS bleached out and I've had fun watching it get healthy in my tank. About a month ago I noticed 2 of the polyps closest to the tank glass closing up more than the others. Eventually I moved the coral around - with the 2 affected polyps in a different location. They were affected by something, bleached a bit but seem to be recovering. I'm now seeing a new polyp (now closest to the front of the tank) closed up. It just started today so I may be overreacting - we'll see tomorrow.

I don't see anything picking on it during the day - I have a few hitchhiker crabs but they haven't been too much trouble - a couple overturned corals but once I relocate they don't continue to stalk.

My water is mostly ok, have been dealing with low Alkalinity (7.5dKH) with a low pH also (7.8 - 8.1) - but am dosing (slowly) to bring things up a bit. Nitrate at 4, Phosphate at 0.03, Calcium at 400 (bringing that up slowly also).

Any thoughts?
 
The Alk has been that low for awhile - at least a couple months. No change in flow at all, no blasting. I'm suspicious that something's picking on it - the other polyps look fine, and the ones that were close to the front of the tank seem to be recovering.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new