Odd Anthia Behavior

Dmtd1OfThePast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All, so I have had three female Ignitus Anthias in my 120 gallon aquarium for 7 months now. All has been well up until about a month ago. One of my anthias parked up in a corner towards the top of the tank, and the other two seemed to almost be protecting it. It is not showing any signs of starving or being hungry it still looks healthy minus its colors getting lighter. I was told that she may become a he. So naturally I let nature take its course, fish is still alive and healthy looking, but now a second anthia has decided to park in another corner of the tank. The third one now checks on both.
Is this something I should be concerned about, because having two boys, from what I can find, will end in bloodshed.

Tank parameters are as follows:
Alk 9.3dkh
Ammonia 0
Phosphate 0.1ppm
Magnesium 1500ppm
Ph 8.2
Calcium 415ppm
Iodine .03ppm
Salinity 35ppt
Trates 5ppm
Trites 0ppm
Temp 77.5°F

Thank you for any insight on this

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello All, so I have had three female Ignitus Anthias in my 120 gallon aquarium for 7 months now. All has been well up until about a month ago. One of my anthias parked up in a corner towards the top of the tank, and the other two seemed to almost be protecting it. It is not showing any signs of starving or being hungry it still looks healthy minus its colors getting lighter. I was told that she may become a he. So naturally I let nature take its course, fish is still alive and healthy looking, but now a second anthia has decided to park in another corner of the tank. The third one now checks on both.
Is this something I should be concerned about, because having two boys, from what I can find, will end in bloodshed.

Tank parameters are as follows:
Alk 9.3dkh
Ammonia 0
Phosphate 0.1ppm
Magnesium 1500ppm
Ph 8.2
Calcium 415ppm
Iodine .03ppm
Salinity 35ppt
Trates 5ppm
Trites 0ppm
Temp 77.5°F

Thank you for any insight on this
Mag is a little high *should be about 1300)
Not unusual for anthias to hug a corner especially if intimidated by another tank mate.

OP
OP
Dmtd1OfThePast

Dmtd1OfThePast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought as well, but I have not seen any fish picking on them or any fin damage or marks on their sides.

The one literally spends all day there, and I'm assuming at night moves around because it has to be eating something. It does not come out of its corner to eat at any feeding time.

Yea I originally thought that in had a bad mag test, bought 2 more salifert and red sea on recommendation, got the same result on all three, I have never dosed Mag, use RO and DI water for water changes, and I have tried different salts always seem to stay at 1500, it was one of my parameters that always puzzled me.

Thank you for taking the time to help me I appreciate you,

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back