Odd fish reactions to Red Sea Reef Energy AB+

Nick711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lately I’ve been spot feeding my coral food soaked with Red Sea reef energy ab+. Each time, shutting return / skimmer / wavemakers for 30+ min. The water stays a bit cloudy during this period, given the color of AB+.

The last two times I’ve used it (several days apart), I noticed my clowns (only fish atm) become rather lethargic near the 30 minute mark to the point they are practically laying still in the back corner of the tank. Shortly after turning everything back on, they are back to their normal behavior swimming around the tank. This led me to wonder if AB+ depletes oxygen at a high level or if it is somehow bothering the fish.

I typically spot feed my coral, but it’s only when I add a recommended size dosage of AB+ to the food that this behavior seems to occur. I don’t know if this could merely be a coincidence, but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced odd fish reactions to dosing Red Sea Reef Energy AB+

OP
OP
Nick711

Nick711

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do they react if you shut off all flow and don't add the AB+?

I suspect they're reacting to lack of flow

It’s possibly just the reaction to flow, but I’ve only noticed it happening when the AB+ is added to the mix

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta admit it makes my corals close up more now right when dosed. It didn't used to do that two years ago, maybe the mix has changed not sure

Was starting to get more aggressive algae when using it too, it increased my algae removal work required. Not sure it's worth it anymore

Benepets dry reef food has been a positive impact and convenient storage too

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I killed a mexican barnacle blenny with a targetted feeding of AB+

It swam through the green cloud and shortly after started spazzing like those videos of fish that fall into brine pools

Died a few minutes later.

I dose it right into the gyres now to avoid anything like that in the future.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back