Dosing Red Sea Reef Energy AB+ Complete Coral Food

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have a 5-month-old Fluval Sea Evo 52L aquarium with around 5kg of live rock and 4kg of sand, giving me a net water volume of approximately 43L. I'm not running a skimmer, and my nitrates are consistently low (never higher than 5). The tank is a mixed soft/LPS setup (Candy cane, discosoma mushrooms, rhodactis mushroom, alveopora, fireworks Clove Polyp (two various coloration), iron man chalice. Regarding livestock: pair of clownfish, 3x sexy shrimps and CUC.), and while the corals are doing well and growing, the growth is relatively slow. I'm considering dosing Red Sea Reef Energy AB+ Complete Coral Food but wanted to get your thoughts on its suitability for a small aquarium like mine. Would it positively impact coral growth, or is it unnecessary?

Any advice is highly appreciated!

coralboi56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll get varying opinions on this, but in my experience, Red Sea AB+ definitely works. Took my hot shot zoas from 5 heads to well over 75. same with my clove polyps.

The argument come when someone says "Well the zoas would've done that anyway with or without AB+" which may be true, but also may not be true. There are many things like that in the hobby though

OP
OP
S

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll get varying opinions on this, but in my experience, Red Sea AB+ definitely works. Took my hot shot zoas from 5 heads to well over 75. same with my clove polyps.

The argument come when someone says "Well the zoas would've done that anyway with or without AB+" which may be true, but also may not be true. There are many things like that in the hobby though
Thanks, I've heard a lot of good reviews about this product and wasn't sure whether it is worth to add it in the nano tank.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 15 gallon I run AB+ daily (like a ml or two) and I definitely believe it helps. I can tell when my doser runs out because things just don't look as full.

OP
OP
S

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 15 gallon I run AB+ daily (like a ml or two) and I definitely believe it helps. I can tell when my doser runs out because things just don't look as full.
Mine is 13.5 gallon and I thought it might be quite small to dose it. However if you had a beneficial experience it may be worth trying.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is 13.5 gallon and I thought it might be quite small to dose it. However if you had a beneficial experience it may be worth trying.

I use a doser hooked up to a tiny fridge since it needs to be kept cold. You'll only need like a ml a day if that.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that it will be beneficial regardless of the size of the aquarium.

I dose only about a 1/3 of the recommended amount in my 240gal but what I also do is soak all of my frozen food in it overnight so anything that catches the food gets a direct delivery of the aminos and vitamins.

OP
OP
S

Sebreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that it will be beneficial regardless of the size of the aquarium.

I dose only about a 1/3 of the recommended amount in my 240gal but what I also do is soak all of my frozen food in it overnight so anything that catches the food gets a direct delivery of the aminos and vitamins.
Thanks! I think I shouldn't hesitate but get it asap and start dosing it to let them thrive rather than just survive

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this product raise any of the parameters? Alk, Cal nitrate...
No impact on Alk/Ca/Mg, overuse may lead to increase nitrates/phosphates but I have not found that to be true in my experience.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No impact on Alk/Ca/Mg, overuse may lead to increase nitrates/phosphates but I have not found that to be true in my experience.
Overuse can indeed lead to an increase in nitrates and phosphates, which will lead to neon green algae on your glass for a day or 2, it's not the worst thing, but it usually is a side effect of that..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back