Odd seahorse behavior

dantdodge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had our seahorses now since mid July everything has seemed to be going well.

Our female the last week has been pacing back and forth at the top of the tank which seems for hours at a time. Should I be worried? The only change was adding a firefish to the tank. it is the only fish in there. The tank is a 24 x24 x24

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can think of three possibilities right off.
First, the seahorse MIGHT possibly feel stressed from the firefish addition.
Second, it could be affected by parasites that are getting to plague proportions. They could be ones already present on the seahorses and now stress levels allow parasitic expansion, or, it can be parasites introduced to the tank via the firefish addition, ones the seahorse has NOT grown up with. Seahorses DO NOT DO WELL when introduced to new types of parasites.
Lastly, the water quality could be deteriorating gradually and there might be bacterial problems beginning either internally or externally. THERE ARE NO TEST KITS that will tell you when this aspect of the water is degrading to the point bacteria are expanding. For that reason, we need to be diligent in our protocols for husbandry and water changes.
At this point, what you have posted isn't enough information to be able to recommend a solution, but I personally would be getting prepared by getting a hospital tank (10g preferably) ready and having Furan II and/or tri-sulpha antibiotics on hand in case it ends up being bacterial.
If it starts doing scratching or rubbing against decor then I'd do a 12 minute fresh water dip, matching temp, s.g., and pH and watch closely for initial reaction. If parasites are problematic you will see thrashing about of the seahorse at first, gradually becoming calm. You will see minute particles that seem to be exploding from the seahorse and these are the parasites. Leave the seahorse for 12 minutes and only remove it if it becomes unresponsive to touching.
Perhaps the simplest move is to remove the firefish to another container for a week or so and see if the behaviour of the seahorse changes back to normal.

OP
OP
D

dantdodge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi thank you for the reply. I know info was notadequit
I can think of three possibilities right off.
First, the seahorse MIGHT possibly feel stressed from the firefish addition.
Second, it could be affected by parasites that are getting to plague proportions. They could be ones already present on the seahorses and now stress levels allow parasitic expansion, or, it can be parasites introduced to the tank via the firefish addition, ones the seahorse has NOT grown up with. Seahorses DO NOT DO WELL when introduced to new types of parasites.
Lastly, the water quality could be deteriorating gradually and there might be bacterial problems beginning either internally or externally. THERE ARE NO TEST KITS that will tell you when this aspect of the water is degrading to the point bacteria are expanding. For that reason, we need to be diligent in our protocols for husbandry and water changes.
At this point, what you have posted isn't enough information to be able to recommend a solution, but I personally would be getting prepared by getting a hospital tank (10g preferably) ready and having Furan II and/or tri-sulpha antibiotics on hand in case it ends up being bacterial.
If it starts doing scratching or rubbing against decor then I'd do a 12 minute fresh water dip, matching temp, s.g., and pH and watch closely for initial reaction. If parasites are problematic you will see thrashing about of the seahorse at first, gradually becoming calm. You will see minute particles that seem to be exploding from the seahorse and these are the parasites. Leave the seahorse for 12 minutes and only remove it if it becomes unresponsive to touching.
Perhaps the simplest move is to remove the firefish to another container for a week or so and see if the behaviour of the seahorse changes back to normal.
Hi Thank you for the response Rayjay. Apologies I know there was some crucial information missing. The Seahorse is not experiencing any difficulty breathing and not showing any signs of external issues. The firefish was in medicated QT for almost 72 days in tank but you never know..

Tank Parameters:
SG: 1.025
Temp Stable 72.5 - 73. throughout the day.
PH:8.1
Nitrite-0
Nitrate- 0
Amonia-0

What I tested previous to post. The Male in the tank is not exhibiting this behavior, so I think you may be right the one fish causing a lot of stress for her. I am thinking too maybe the fish took up residence at "her" rock.

I think I will take your suggestion and move the fish out for now.

I do have a hospital tank ready to go with the following medication.

Again thank you for the knowledge, I will keep you posted if you think of anything else please let me know. I put a hitch up in the top area where she was pacing and she seems to have hunkered down on that and no longer pacing but something is off.

Danny

OP
OP
D

dantdodge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does she appear to have a buoyancy problem at all that keeps her at the top?

She does not seem to have buoyancy issues. I have removed firefish and cleaner shrimp i monitored her all day and I think the cleaner shrimp has been stressing her out with their need to clean.

Since removing both shrimp and fish and relocated she has been acting normal and feeding again with no pacing. Feel much better but will be monitoring.

Will keep you posted. I think I dodged a bullet

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And, bullets are hard to dodge.
Now, as you've had these a couple of months now, it can be critical to be VERY observant of the seahorses, watching for ANYTHING that might not be normal.
As the tanks progress, the water quality can deteriorate to the point the seahorses are affected by the resultant loading of nasty bacteria.
While your test kits you have can all show everything acceptable, the water can STILL be dirty in a way that no test kits available to the hobbyist can detect. (think dissolved organics for one) and as such, the husbandry and water change protocols need to be preventative rather than reactive.
It can manifest itself in many different ways, like a lethargic seahorse, pouch emphysema or more severely, wounds that are bacteria infected.
IMO, keeping the seahorse tank water clean enough to avoid problems is the biggest problem to successful long term seahorse keeping.

OP
OP
D

dantdodge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And, bullets are hard to dodge.
Now, as you've had these a couple of months now, it can be critical to be VERY observant of the seahorses, watching for ANYTHING that might not be normal.
As the tanks progress, the water quality can deteriorate to the point the seahorses are affected by the resultant loading of nasty bacteria.
While your test kits you have can all show everything acceptable, the water can STILL be dirty in a way that no test kits available to the hobbyist can detect. (think dissolved organics for one) and as such, the husbandry and water change protocols need to be preventative rather than reactive.
It can manifest itself in many different ways, like a lethargic seahorse, pouch emphysema or more severely, wounds that are bacteria infected.
IMO, keeping the seahorse tank water clean enough to avoid problems is the biggest problem to successful long term seahorse keeping.
Thank you for the info. I will be monitoring water params. I do water changes regularly every weekend the tank is equipped with a skimmer and filter sock.
I will be monitoring her closely so far still no more pacing or staying near the top of the tank endlessly.
I will continue to test with my salifert kits to make sure what they can detect stays in check.

Will keep you up to date thank you for the support and knowledge.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had our seahorses now since mid July everything has seemed to be going well.

Our female the last week has been pacing back and forth at the top of the tank which seems for hours at a time. Should I be worried? The only change was adding a firefish to the tank. it is the only fish in there. The tank is a 24 x24 x24
You got males ,, how many ponies do you have

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the info. I will be monitoring water params. I do water changes regularly every weekend the tank is equipped with a skimmer and filter sock.
I will be monitoring her closely so far still no more pacing or staying near the top of the tank endlessly.
I will continue to test with my salifert kits to make sure what they can detect stays in check.

Will keep you up to date thank you for the support and knowledge.
Listen to that man,, also do you have UV light, I’m a big fan of them

OP
OP
D

dantdodge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got males ,, how many ponies do you have
Just one male

20200809_182337.jpg

OP
OP
D

dantdodge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a full tank shot kinda so you can see the setup. 30gal sump skimmer underneath

20200809_190431.jpg

OP
OP
D

dantdodge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a full tank shot kinda so you can see the setup. 30gal sump skimmer underneath

20200809_190431.jpg
Quick update Behavior seems to be more and more normal. @rayjay thank you for all the help I have been growing reefs for 20 years but these are the first seahorse .. @Paulie069 thank you for the advice and help.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.6%
Back