Odd snail/ Sargassum Shrimp?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Marc G-L
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Marc G-L

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 22, 2025
Messages
214
Reaction score
231
Location
FT. Lauderdale
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any clue which variety if snail this is? Found it attached to Sargassum on Delray Beach, Fl. Also collected 4 varieties of Shrimp. One chocolate brown w/ white blotchrs and small pincher claws on front legs 1-1.5 inches in length [ including rostrum], another variety light amber with iridescent blotches.

Are these critters reef safe?
1000035168.jpg
20260511_102816.jpg 20260509_153238.jpg 20260510_112844.jpg
 
Any clue which variety if snail this is? Found it attached to Sargassum on Delray Beach, Fl. Also collected 4 varieties of Shrimp. One chocolate brown w/ white blotchrs and small pincher claws on front legs 1-1.5 inches in length [ including rostrum], another variety light amber with iridescent blotches.

Are these critters reef safe?
1000035168.jpg
20260511_102816.jpg 20260509_153238.jpg 20260510_112844.jpg
Pics of the snails under white light would be useful here (even the whitest settings on most reef fixtures are super blue heavy), but the first and third snails are probably safe; the second snail is a crown conch (not a true conch; not reef-safe).

The first shrimp is a Leander species (I haven't looked into these in depth yet or I might be able to give a specific species ID) - most likely reef-safe. I can't see the second shrimp well enough to attempt an ID on it.
 
Slightly better shot of shrimp. Not sure if it's an Leander species. Definitely elusive.
 

Attachments

  • 20260514_193435.jpg
    20260514_193435.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 20260514_124333.jpg
    20260514_124333.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 42
Slightly better shot of shrimp. Not sure if it's an Leander species. Definitely elusive.
The first shrimp is a Leander species (I haven't looked into these in depth yet or I might be able to give a specific species ID) - most likely reef-safe. I can't see the second shrimp well enough to attempt an ID on it.
Bah, I forgot I had looked into these before (a recent thread reminded me):
+1 to this - Female Leander tenuicornis (differentiated from males by the ocelli - the spots on the side there - and by a taller and wider rostrum; not all females have the ocelli, but males reportedly never have them; male rostrums are shorter and leaner):
https://txmarspecies.tamug.edu/invertdetails.cfm?scinameID=Leander tenuicornis
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new