Of mud, mangroves, and niches: Mission 2018

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting that article from sarah. I think that will help me out alot.

I am trying to use plugs that get dislodged and washed up. I don't want to dig up the plugs that I have growing now. Maybe I can try some pots or something. Anyway thanks again!!

Chasmodes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the well written article and also the link Chris is talking about. I'm interested in the topic as well. I currently am trying out widgeon grass but the conditions really aren't right in my tank yet. I collected some that was uprooted from a recent storm and put it in my native tank. I will continue to try that, but not until I can get some live sand and mud from my collecting spots into my tank. That will happen soon. I'd consider shoal or eel grass once my tank SG increases. Right now, it's brackish at 1.016. Eventually, I'll raise it over time to about 1.020.

want2bsleepy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it could work...I'd go with "Shoal Grass" (Halodule wrightii)- it's the fastest-growing, and most hardy variety, IMHO. And it will grow in a 3-inch sandbed! I think it would look really cool in there. "inoculate" your tank with some amphipods and such from Algae Barn; maybe a kit from Indo Pacific Sea Farms (Gerald Heslinga's cool outfit in HI), and you're good! The horses will have a lot of stuff to pick at!!!
-Scott
thanks! Do you know where one would get shoal grass? I can't seem to find it. I could always just go pick some in the sound here locally, but I think my husband would have a fit! lol

chris85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Chasmodes If I am not mistaken widgeon grass is more of a lower salinity seagrass it should be ok in your system as long as the root structure didn't get damaged to bad.

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another great article, Scott. Thanks.
I'm not sure that sea grass would do well in a tank that has coral in it though? I think it could probably survive but am not convinced it could do as well as it would in a tank where conditions were specifically adapted to growing sea grass. I mean that all other considerations aside (not to downplay the importance of the other considerations), the grass needs more light and and longer light periods than corals prefer, doesn't it? Wouldn't the necessary PAR be too strong for most corals? This is what I got from the link you posted (Sarah's article). There's a complete difference between macro algae and sea grass and their requirements.

Even before your article, I was actually thinking to take some of the seagrass in my fuge and transplant it to my DT. I was imagining that I'd have it cover the bare areas of the sand bed but keep it trimmed short, sort of like what is done in a FW tank. But now that I've read that article, I'm not sure. Plus I'd also have to transplant the substrate to give it a better chance to 'take'. Seems messy and not even sure I could accomplish that without emptying the tank, transplanting it and refilling.

Just thinking out loud here but I think the only practical way this could be done would be to have root the grass on pieces of marinepure then use that to transplant.

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I am sold.

I was already considering adding more diversity to my system and this puts me over the line to make it happen. I will be moving soon (probably in 2018), so I will have to rebuild everything from scratch :) Right now, my sump/fuge is crammed into a corner, and I do miss watching all the crazy life in the refugium chamber. I really like the idea of a 'display' refugium, hmm, as its own tank...

This gives me a lot to think about, thanks for posting this!

OP
OP
Scott Fellman

Scott Fellman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks! Do you know where one would get shoal grass? I can't seem to find it. I could always just go pick some in the sound here locally, but I think my husband would have a fit! lol
Try a place called "Gulf Coast Ecosystems"...do a Google search for them...great little place!

OP
OP
Scott Fellman

Scott Fellman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a place called "Gulf Coast Ecosystems"...do a Google search for them...great little place!

OP
OP
Scott Fellman

Scott Fellman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I am sold.

I was already considering adding more diversity to my system and this puts me over the line to make it happen. I will be moving soon (probably in 2018), so I will have to rebuild everything from scratch :) Right now, my sump/fuge is crammed into a corner, and I do miss watching all the crazy life in the refugium chamber. I really like the idea of a 'display' refugium, hmm, as its own tank...

This gives me a lot to think about, thanks for posting this!

I LOVE the idea of a display refugium...I can recall visiting a number of reef tanks in my travels where the refugium was far more interesting than the display! :eek::D:p

OP
OP
Scott Fellman

Scott Fellman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another great article, Scott. Thanks.
I'm not sure that sea grass would do well in a tank that has coral in it though? I think it could probably survive but am not convinced it could do as well as it would in a tank where conditions were specifically adapted to growing sea grass. I mean that all other considerations aside (not to downplay the importance of the other considerations), the grass needs more light and and longer light periods than corals prefer, doesn't it? Wouldn't the necessary PAR be too strong for most corals? This is what I got from the link you posted (Sarah's article). There's a complete difference between macro algae and sea grass and their requirements.

Even before your article, I was actually thinking to take some of the seagrass in my fuge and transplant it to my DT. I was imagining that I'd have it cover the bare areas of the sand bed but keep it trimmed short, sort of like what is done in a FW tank. But now that I've read that article, I'm not sure. Plus I'd also have to transplant the substrate to give it a better chance to 'take'. Seems messy and not even sure I could accomplish that without emptying the tank, transplanting it and refilling.

Just thinking out loud here but I think the only practical way this could be done would be to have root the grass on pieces of marinepure then use that to transplant.

I would love to develop a seagrass 'flat" kind of like the ones ground cover comes in; you'd just plop it in your tank. No need to remove the seagrass from it's surrounding root medium...eliminating one form of the stress they encounter when acclimated to a new tank...Hmm...;)

Oh, I have kept seagrasses and corals together many times without issues for either...no worries on the PAR. I think it's more that seagrasses do better under "daylight" spectrum than most reefers and our "Windex Blue" aesthetic sensibilities can handle! ;Woot

Scott

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to develop a seagrass 'flat" kind of like the ones ground cover comes in; you'd just plop it in your tank. No need to remove the seagrass from it's surrounding root medium...eliminating one form of the stress they encounter when acclimated to a new tank...Hmm...;)

Some sort of root medium (thick filter floss or sheets of that plastic sponge stuff would probably work)... combined with modifying existing hydroponic techniques for, say, wheat-grass... Should work just fine :)

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'd buy that.

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SEA grass in a mature DSB is a great idea. Where can I get some?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love seeing people getting excited about this, I have a sub 3 gallon simmering in the background, I added caulerpa, it is too aggressive, my bad, I will be getting 2 or 3 different macro algaes in the next week or so, 1 fast grower, 1 slow.
Currently just 2 mini hermits, 2 money / ring cowries and some zoas in there!
... oh and a red monti digi! ;)

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is it? Is it a mystery? :)

Oh, I have kept seagrasses and corals together many times without issues for either...no worries on the PAR. I think it's more that seagrasses do better under "daylight" spectrum than most reefers and our "Windex Blue" aesthetic sensibilities can handle! ;Woot

I see. I could try transplanting only a few stems and see if they put out runners and grow.

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE the idea of a display refugium...I can recall visiting a number of reef tanks in my travels where the refugium was far more interesting than the display! :eek::D:p

Display refugium is also a great place to put anemones if your "main tank" has corals that don't appreciate being stung.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short I had an extended power cut 2 weeks ago today so all 3 tanks are in recovery mode, sps die back seems to have pretty much stopped.
I have a 5 day weekend so they will be getting a lot of tlc.
This is my 10 litre pico, it will have some of the caulerpa removed and get a water change (50%).
It has a small hob waterfall filter with just a fine media bag filter plate, mainly just for flow as I didn't want a powerhead in there!
Only some zoas and a red monti digi, the monti is a tough little sucker!
The last waterchange was a few months ago.
The caulerpa on the left glass was left there the last time I harvested a few weeks ago, it is the best gauge of nutrient levels (the tank has never been tested), it is growing very slowly now so my levels must low, anything not on the rockwork will be coming out.
That is a mangrove at the back, currently minus leaves which could be because of the power outage or low nutrients?
Oh and the "secret" ingredient, there is a Sochting oxydator mini in there running 2 catalysts and 6% hydrogen peroxide?! :)

DSC01605 by sshipuk, on Flickr

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back