Of picky hermits and hungry snails

Always42Learning

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 6, 2022
Messages
16
Reaction score
8
Location
Ohio Valley
What state or country do you live in
Kentucky
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I ordered a clean-up crew from Live Aquaria (nice job, fast shipping), 25 dwarf hermit crabs and 15 snails (nerite, cerith, and margarita), and they cleaned up my new 32 gallon cube in like 7-10 days.
(No fish in this tank.)

I ordered multiple iterations of shells, trying to find small ones for the hermit crabs. Kept getting way too big, but I finally found a place with tiny shells. Shout out to Naples Sea Shell Company, great assortment and really fast shipping.

20220214_124631.jpg


The dwarf hermit crabs, while very cool with their little feelers and blue legs, are really picky. I bought 31 shells, and a whopping two of the 25 moved. Really picky about where they live, I guess.

Since the snails cleaned up the tank, now I worry that they are hungry. So far I’ve tossed in fish flakes, dried seaweed, raw shrimp (not all at the same time). Is there anything else I should try?

(this is the tank a couple of weeks before the CUC moved in.)

20220124_155126 (1) B.jpg



Thanks,

JJ
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 53 34.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new