Off-the-Wall Starfish Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter radiata
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 2, 2015
Messages
1,163
Reaction score
781
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I must admit that I'm a sucker for a Red Starfish. But I seem to be having something odd happening with two of them. One is a Red Serpent Starfish (purchased 2/4/23) and the other is an Orange Linkia (purchased on 3/18/23). The coloration of both is fading into a lighter shade of orange. They have different food intake - the Linckia eats "bio-film", and the Serpent is an opportunistic cleaner of leftover food.

Have any idea what could be causing the color loss? Probably not food intake, but could it be a scarcity of a particular chemical or an over-abundance of one?

I won't be too happy if my "Black-Tip" Fromia or my two African Red biscuit starfish (Goniaster tessellatus) start to fade.
 
I think the Linkia has a life expectancy in captivity of 2-5 years ( although I believe most only survive 1-2years).

The serpent I believe is longer?

But fading color I believe indicates a decline in health
 
I'd heavily suspect the Linckia is suffering from a nutrient deficiency.
 
I must admit that I'm a sucker for a Red Starfish. But I seem to be having something odd happening with two of them. One is a Red Serpent Starfish (purchased 2/4/23) and the other is an Orange Linkia (purchased on 3/18/23). The coloration of both is fading into a lighter shade of orange. They have different food intake - the Linckia eats "bio-film", and the Serpent is an opportunistic cleaner of leftover food.

Have any idea what could be causing the color loss? Probably not food intake, but could it be a scarcity of a particular chemical or an over-abundance of one?

I won't be too happy if my "Black-Tip" Fromia or my two African Red biscuit starfish (Goniaster tessellatus) start to fade.
Different lighting, different things in or missing from the food they're eating, their health, possibly other things in the water, etc. can all impact coloration - I would guess inadequate diet and health are the big factors here, but I may be wrong.
 
My red serpent star comes rushing out to grab meaty foods like brine and mysis shrimp. I've Had it for 21 years now.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20241015_201805235.jpg
    PXL_20241015_201805235.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 19

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new