Official Micromussa lordhowensis (formerly Acanthastrea lordhowensis) Show Off Thread

Corals.com

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Very nice! That first one looks to me a Micromussa Amakusensis! Very nice specimen might I add. I recently picked one up. They don’t come in often.

Warning noob or question. What’s the difference between micromussa and acan? And thanks I feel like I got a good deal on it it almost popped out of the display tank at the LFS and does when I have my blues up at night.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Warning noob or question. What’s the difference between micromussa and acan? And thanks I feel like I got a good deal on it it almost popped out of the display tank at the LFS and does when I have my blues up at night.
Acans have been reclassified as Micromussa but since they have been Acans for so long most just call them Acans still

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Acanthastrea Lordhowensis (what we typically call an Acan) have been reclassified as Micromoussa Lordhowensis
Micromussa Amakusensis is a relative but has never been considered a Acan.
So the reality is they are both Micros but only one type is referred to as an Acan.

I know, confusing as hell but it is what it is.

Best reef aquarium LED lighting
Corals.com
SaltwaterAquarium.com