Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5350.jpeg

This one always has its polyps out 24/7 , I’ve noticed as time goes by the rest of them are becoming like this even with the lights on.
By any chance can I have your advice? I've noticed when my wilsoni is closed up (usually after I have to blow off some debris/mess with it) there is a small strip of exposed skeleton on the edge of the coral, have you noticed that on ant of yours? Usually the polyp covered it up

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By any chance can I have your advice? I've noticed when my wilsoni is closed up (usually after I have to blow off some debris/mess with it) there is a small strip of exposed skeleton on the edge of the coral, have you noticed that on ant of yours? Usually the polyp covered it up
I have noticed this when I first get them in the system, I have also noticed that we keep our reef tanks too clean, I don’t run filter socks or a skimmer just an algae scrubber , I feed flakes and powder food, tank isn’t crystal clear but the corals definitely benefit they are always puffy and tentacles out even when lights on , my Bowerbanki corals do the same as the Wilsoni.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed this when I first get them in the system, I have also noticed that we keep our reef tanks too clean, I don’t run filter socks or a skimmer just an algae scrubber , I feed flakes and powder food, tank isn’t crystal clear but the corals definitely benefit they are always puffy and tentacles out even when lights on , my Bowerbanki corals do the same as the Wilsoni.
I've had it for 3 months so I don't think it's that. I do change the filter socks daily but I've been doing this for awhile (since I got it) and it actually went through a period of die-back and growth, though that was when the skeleton was sticking through the lobes

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had it for 3 months so I don't think it's that. I do change the filter socks daily but I've been doing this for awhile (since I got it) and it actually went through a period of die-back and growth, though that was when the skeleton was sticking through the lobes
I think it happens when I try to spotfeed it. It dosent like that and maybe its using too much energy to digest?

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! That's what's weird, the PE is excellent, in fact the lobes/walls almost completely cover the mantle, the only other thing I can think of is that the back half is shaded, so maybe that?
Could be but your tank is probably too warm if it’s receding , do you have a heater ? I would turn it down or pull it out if it doesn’t get too cold in your house

Purpletang92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish do you have ? I don’t run heaters in my system
By the tempature our house is at, the tank would be 64 degrees. Honestly surprised the Coldwater wilsoni didn't fare well in that system, that is the tempature that Deepwater fish live in. As stated above, I have one china wrasse

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back