Oh no here we go!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm pretty certain I have a huge Dino outbreak going on!!!

Rust colored, long and stringy, looks worse when lights are going strong, oxygen bubbles...

What are you guys doing to alleviate a dino problem?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rust colored, long and stringy, looks worse when lights are going strong, oxygen bubbles...

Well most people think that a meteor the size of a football field killed the Dino's a million or so years ago

So you can try that

But besides checking to see if there is any metal or corrosion of metal around ur tank let it be just part of the tank maturing

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well... well... well, here we go!

Here's my recent thread:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/nuisance-id-including-photos-parameters-and-description.304950/

Here's a thread with TONS of info:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-–-are-you-tired-of-battling-altogether.293318/

What I found was balancing my nutrients by phosphate dosing helped to increase the biodiversity of more desirable and controllable algae in my tank which led to outcompeting the dinos.

reeftilldie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 week ago, i noticed some signs of Dino,Cyano (stringy brown, trapped bubble , going strong when light on, blow off easy on rocks, sands) i decided not dose anything to the tank yet i did 3 full days blacked out instead, after 3 days i saw white stringy stuffs on power head i knew that it completely died. It been a week and i have not seen any signs of it coming back.
You can try yo black out first before deciding to dose anything to ur tank, it may be worse.
Good luck.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This worked for me after a 3 month battle (at that time we were not doing microscopic ID).

1. pH maintenance greater than or higher 8.0 24/7 with the use of kalk.
2. Complete blackout for 3 days. Slow increase of photo-period, every time the bubbles and strings formed the lights went out.
3. Manually blew the dino off all rocks and corals daily, let it settle and cleaned all mechanical filtration daily.
4. No water changes.
5. Stopped all dosing of amino acid products or carbon products. Every time I have had dino I was also adding amino acids in the form of coral foods such as Acro-power.

Had that not worked I would have probably thrown in the towel. Occasionally I see the beginnings of dino but I act before it takes hold (knock on wood).

Good Luck Rev, it can be beat but it does take time.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's bad!

Came home from RAP, about 10 days away and it was taking over!

It's stringy and nasty, covering everything. I hate my tank....lol

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well most people think that a meteor the size of a football field killed the Dino's a million or so years ago

So you can try that

But besides checking to see if there is any metal or corrosion of metal around ur tank let it be just part of the tank maturing

So you're saying it's going to go away on it's on?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well... well... well, here we go!

Here's my recent thread:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/nuisance-id-including-photos-parameters-and-description.304950/

Here's a thread with TONS of info:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dinoflagellates-–-are-you-tired-of-battling-altogether.293318/

What I found was balancing my nutrients by phosphate dosing helped to increase the biodiversity of more desirable and controllable algae in my tank which led to outcompeting the dinos.

Thanks. I have some Chaeto coming in tomorrow. I had planned to to try and grow this in my refugium to help with the low PH issues.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2 week ago, i noticed some signs of Dino,Cyano (stringy brown, trapped bubble , going strong when light on, blow off easy on rocks, sands) i decided not dose anything to the tank yet i did 3 full days blacked out instead, after 3 days i saw white stringy stuffs on power head i knew that it completely died. It been a week and i have not seen any signs of it coming back.
You can try yo black out first before deciding to dose anything to ur tank, it may be worse.
Good luck.

Thanks.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ohh no not you too Rev. Get it under the microscope, positive ID it key.

From the description, kinda sound like ostreopsis.

I'll check in to that.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This worked for me after a 3 month battle (at that time we were not doing microscopic ID).

1. pH maintenance greater than or higher 8.0 24/7 with the use of kalk.
2. Complete blackout for 3 days. Slow increase of photo-period, every time the bubbles and strings formed the lights went out.
3. Manually blew the dino off all rocks and corals daily, let it settle and cleaned all mechanical filtration daily.
4. No water changes.
5. Stopped all dosing of amino acid products or carbon products. Every time I have had dino I was also adding amino acids in the form of coral foods such as Acro-power.

Had that not worked I would have probably thrown in the towel. Occasionally I see the beginnings of dino but I act before it takes hold (knock on wood).

Good Luck Rev, it can be beat but it does take time.

Thanks. One issue I already have is I can't get my PH to go up abouve 7.6.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a dino outbreak too. Tis' the season? ;)

To make a long story short, mine was a result of N and P both dropping to Zero. In the last week, I've brought both N and P up to NO3 at 2-5ppm and PO4 to 0.07. Just received my pods and plankton in the mail, although in this weeks time I've seen an increase of pods in the tank whereas last week the only thing thriving were dinos. I'll try and post some updates with the addition of nutrients and pods to see if I'm going in the right direction. It's not a quick fix but should do the trick.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're saying it's going to go away on it's on?
I was wrong but was right about the football sized metor.

I have never had Dino's I was thinking of something else

But I have researched it so check ur rodi unit make sure ur top off water is zero tds if this is ok ur phosphate and nitrate might be unbalanced fueling the Dino's as well also the metal being leached into ur water

What's ur
Tds?
Nitrates?
Phosphates?
After a water change does it get worse?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a Hanna low phosphorous checker, that would be the closes way to get a true reading of you phosphates.

You will have to starve out the Dino's by bring down you phosphates to 0 or a trace for a week, then keep a trace for another week and then bring them back up to .02 to .03. As mentioned above Dino also like silica.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back