Dino identification help

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought is this is Amphidinium. agree?
Some seem to have more pronounced beaks than others.

Looking at the display tank, there are some small areas of mats on sand in certain areas.
Some long strands of dinos that cling to corals and glass.

2 pictures here

IMG_1367.JPG IMG_1369.JPG

2 videos here

Video 1
(I realize the big guy active in the middle is not a dino, btw)

Video 2

I think it is in check for now....possibly even subsiding a bit...so I am not going to go crazy about it now.
Most corals look find and continue to do well. Two gorgonians stopped extending their polyps around the time this started (for the last 3-4 weeks). Not sure if that is coincidental or they are irritated by the dinos. They are not covered in dinos but they do catch the strands in the flow. easy to blow them off with jet of water.

Is removing those parts of the sand bed worth it or is that tactic not really expected to do much?

menoet1us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

you can check here..

i would say Ostreopsis and Amphidinium but i am not an expert and someone else also could help

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought is this is Amphidinium. agree?
Some seem to have more pronounced beaks than others.

Looking at the display tank, there are some small areas of mats on sand in certain areas.
Some long strands of dinos that cling to corals and glass.

2 pictures here

IMG_1367.JPG IMG_1369.JPG

2 videos here

Video 1
(I realize the big guy active in the middle is not a dino, btw)

Video 2

I think it is in check for now....possibly even subsiding a bit...so I am not going to go crazy about it now.
Most corals look find and continue to do well. Two gorgonians stopped extending their polyps around the time this started (for the last 3-4 weeks). Not sure if that is coincidental or they are irritated by the dinos. They are not covered in dinos but they do catch the strands in the flow. easy to blow them off with jet of water.

Is removing those parts of the sand bed worth it or is that tactic not really expected to do much?
Looks like Ostreopsis to me but I don't know how many species have a similar shape.
If they are, they will definitely irritate corals. Blowing them off has proven a waste of time for me. After just a few hours the dinos were back with vengeance.
UV works great though. After just several days they were gone and never came back.

These were my species
IMG_20231006_205655 (1).jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 143 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back