Dinoflagellate Identification Guide

ScottB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I've had this laying around for a while. Had some recent interest, so I tweaked it a bit and am posting it.
Not really about cures just ID pictures, videos, and a few short facts.

Hope it can be helpful.

I wouldn't want to put you out of a "job" or anything, but this should be a sticky. And linked on Page 1 of @mcarroll "are you tired" thread.

Marvelous work here taricha. Your descriptions really bring clarity to image cues and movement behavior.

If this becomes a sticky, what are you going to do with all your spare time? (Please go back to work on cyano hint hint.)

Thank you for your service to the community!

Sincerely,
Cyano

OP
T

taricha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
If this becomes a sticky, what are you going to do with all your spare time? (Please go back to work on cyano hint hint.)
haha. Well, it's true that I have lots of projects on various back burners, but this is mostly posted to communicate to everyone what those of us who ID are looking for.
Don't worry, still very much looking into conditions that support nuisance growth. :)

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

ScottB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
@taricha
Can i ask you if this are Ostreopsis or Amphidinium to understand what's better for my tank?
Thanks
Hard to tell from the pic, but the movement picked up in the video shows the Ostreopsis swim pattern.

Are you good with your next steps?

Reefkter

View Badges
Reaction score
Is UV lamp the solution?
I've a 125G dsb tank, is it dangerous to use? If not, i've in cellar a 20w UV lamp. It' s enough?
Thanks for yuour answer

ScottB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Is UV lamp the solution?
I've a 125G dsb tank, is it dangerous to use? If not, i've in cellar a 20w UV lamp. It' s enough?
Thanks for yuour answer
Yes, for that species UV is safe and effective if deployed properly. It is recommended to have 1 watt per 3 gallons, with slow flow through it, and to have it running TO & FROM the DISPLAY, not in the sump. You can try your under-sized unit for now and see if it can sterilize your dinos.

Also, the dinos have likely depleted your nutrients. You should raise your nitrates and phosphates to 10-15 and greater than .1 respectively. Dosing those is the fastest way.

You should also run activated carbon as those dinos release toxins. Export the dinos as much as possible. I affix sheets of the blue/white filter floss in areas that the dinos like to populate. Rinse each evening. It helps keep them off the corals.

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

Do you believe the benefits of a UV sterilizer to be a Myth or Reality?

• Myth

Votes: 25 5.5%
  • Reality

Votes: 286 62.6%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 131 28.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 3.3%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors