Oh snap! They're not called Asterinas anymore!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @AcroNem , but what I find disheartening is that when they stated that Wellsophyllia no longer existed (around 2000), there are loads of references. In fact if you search, other than this Reefbuilders reference (dated JUL 14, 2015), they are all about Wellsophyllia no longer existing. In addition, the Reefbuilders article stating Wellsophyllia is back, includes the YouTube directly below that still states it doesn't.....just makes it all confusing. So the only reference is the questionable ReefBuilders article with conflicting references, and the original reference you and Reefbuilders mentioned (dated 2014), that only has a blue arrow going from WELLSOPHYLLIA <---------- TRACHYPHYLLIIDAE.

Supposedly happening in 2014, I would have expected more!

EDIT TO ADD:

HERE's the 2014 reference.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the paper is from a few years back and took a while to be briefly mentioned, but I don't think the problem is with the information, it's sound. The real information, not YouTube information. With soft tissue and skeletal analysis, they are now separate, that's fact. There's a lot of the other changed Genera that this is happening with and few people use them correctly (you don't hear people calling Scolymia australis by its new Genus, Homophyllia) You're right, it can be quite confusing. What is concerning to me is that they get mixed up like this because hobbyists aren't using new information, just what they've been told or what they're used to, which is sometimes incorrect. You won't find much to tell you about the other changes, just a couple papers, but they're still the acceptable names.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess to sum up my long comment. Just because people still use both names, and others might not use new names, it doesn't make the new information iffy :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back