OK am opinionated but it annoys the heck out of me.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious on what you’d say a ‘natural’ tank looks like?
Is it something that mimics a reef and exactly like what you’d see in a specific area in the world or is it a reef with everything originating from one specific spot (E.g. Indonesia) with even the rockwork looking like something you’d find in that area?
This is actually a very good question and I think I am going to start a thread about it.....But not today. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

To define a natural tank I think we would not be a good judge of that so we have to ask the fish. They don't speak much but we can tell by their attitude and mood if they "think" they are in a natural tank.

To a Human like me I feel a natural tank would be some place where the fish don't know that they are in an artificial "sea" and really in their home wherever they came from.

There should be sufficient "tight" hiding places not in a PVC elbow (unless your fish came from Home Depot)
The hiding places should connect to other hiding places through rock passages that the fish can traverse without being seen by us nasty Humans.

There should always be something for them to nibble on that naturally grows in the tank and they should be fed something they recognize as food and in the sea there is no dry food.

In a natural tank fish should never get sick, never be afraid and eat right away.

That is my take on a natural tank, now we need to ask the fish. :thinking-face:

If someone doesn't agree with me, send me a self addressed, stamped envelope with 20 dollars in it. I will spend the twenty on sushi, steam off the stamp and go about my day and you guys (and girls) have a great one. Not to great, don't break any laws .
, just be healthy :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I made the claims origionally and as yet nobody has come up with anything to disprove mine. No scientific paper which I have asked for. I did provide links to backup my claim. Where are the ones disproving them, I would have thought people would have done so.
It is not our job to disprove your ridiculous claims.

You have provided no evidence of your claims - only a bunch of blogs that prove you don't know the difference between sentience and sapience.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is not our job to disprove your ridiculous claims.

You have provided no evidence of your claims - only a bunch of blogs that prove you don't know the difference between sentience and sapience.
My thread is about what is and whslat isn't normal behaviour and I have expressed my views on them. Thanks enjoy your day

Last edited:
OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now am I supposed to feel bad that it appears that my clown likes being hosted by my torch garden? :worried-face:

I don’t have the space for a mag or want to deal with BTA news splitting etc...
I I don't have the space for something I don't buy it. If you didnt have the space for a suitable anemone I wouldn't buy clowns. That's part of my philosophy to keeping fish and anemones. But that's me and you will feel whatever you wish.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I I don't have the space for something I don't buy it. If you didnt have the space for a suitable anemone I wouldn't buy clowns. That's part of my philosophy to keeping fish and anemones. But that's me and you will feel whatever you wish.
With that view you really shouldn’t have an aquarium, period. It would be very easy to pick apart any choice of inhabitant and your ability to provide a “natural” environment.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that view you really shouldn’t have an aquarium, period. It would be very easy to pick apart any choice of inhabitant and your ability to provide a “natural” environment.
And I think you misdunderstand my philosophy to reefkeeping. However, you're welcome to whatever you wish to believe.

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm very curious to your opinion that if you bought an anemone for your clowns, but they decided to host a torch coral instead. Lets consider the anemone and torch coral are equal in size (large and thriving).

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
329EBAEE-D7A9-4847-AA86-3FCBCFB29D84.jpeg
Silly clown.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very curious to your opinion that if you bought an anemone for your clowns, but they decided to host a torch coral instead. Lets consider the anemone and torch coral are equal in size (large and thriving).
I don't have an opinion but at least the clowns have chioce providing of course the anemone was a suitable species.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don’t think I do. I just don’t have the hubris to think anything we do is “natural”.
I would be surprised if you admited to anything other as people seldom do in such circumstances. That's why I have said time and time again our tanks aren't natural. However, I believe some are more natural than others and some very much more so. But unless you have read all my posts or possibly misinterpreted my posts where I say such then perhaps I could see how you would come to that conclusion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think this thread has run it course. Thanks to everybody for making it an interesting one with 8 pages in such a short space of time. Food for thought and thought provoking. It's been a blast for the most part. Have a good day and remember its only a forum nobody died. am out.
Screenshot_20221205_204859_Gallery.jpg

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I think this thread has run it course. Thanks to everybody for making it an interesting one with 8 pages in such a short space of time. Food for thought and thought provoking. It's been a blast for the most part. Have a good day and remember its only a forum nobody died. am out.
Screenshot_20221205_204859_Gallery.jpg
I, for one, want peer reviewed documentation that this is just a forum and nobody died.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back