Ok what is it

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Showed up out of no where, probably the size of an eraser head on a pencil, I have snails and a clown fish and a goby and a pipe fish and a tuxedo urchin in here. Any ideas what this could be? I haven’t added anything to this tank for quite a while.

IMG_7176.jpeg

ScubaSnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a ball anemone.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Well I woke up and it looks dead lol
Looks to be ball anemone as mentioned. They are photosynthetic and will shrink at lights out as they are not actually an anemone.
They remain small and here is a puzzling fact as others stated they are a good anemone. Anemone ???
Ball Anemones are actually a mushroom coral that is commonly confused too many as a Majano Aiptasia. Unlike an Aiptasia, they are reef safe, they commonly stay open during the day and closed up at night. The tips if its anemone-like tentacles end with a ball tip giving it its' name
If truly dead, scrape off into a net with edge of a credit card

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a ball.
And "glass anemone" is another name for aiptasia.
Without any other photos, I suspect it's aiptasia and would recommend removing/killing it.
Agreed that this doesn't seem to be a ball anemone - it doesn't have appear to have the tell-tale, ball-shaped tentacle tips.

It likely was a "pest" kind of anemone, so it dying off may not be a bad thing for your tank.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ball anemone has a ball at the end of each tentacles, of different color. They are not photosynthetic and only come out at night.
Not my picture but got it from the NET
aquarium-squishyfishy.jpg
This is 100% correct :) . I'm not sure where Tony got his information from... :thinking-face:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 41 39.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 30.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 18 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back