Ok what's up with the Alk, mag and ca reading

Cary Meredith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so just wondering, I started my tank backup last fall and things have been going pretty good. I posted a question a week or so ago about losing Torches and plates and somebody suggested checking magnesium, which when I got my test kit and tested was at 1200, so little low, I ordered BRS mag flake at the same time figuring it was going to be the problem or at least needing it in the future, so I dosed the tank to start bringing it up, only dosed half the first day and a little more the second day. Now 3 days later, I check all parameters and mag is way lower, 1050. ca 440, alk 9, is this maybe just the mg and ca and alk starting to react and consume that it is using even more? Dosed again tonight and will keep checking but just thought I would get peoples opinions.

Thanks in advance
Cary

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is finding the right balance. I find the higher the alk the more Ca and Mg are consumed. I keep my system around 8.5 alk. If you do not have a doser, I would advise getting one. A doser makes adjusting your amount so much easier.

Here is a dosing calculator Link

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if low mag. caused your coral deaths.

If mag. gets low it can take a lot of product and patients to bring it up.

Do you know what your phosphates and nitrates are?

During this time of low mag. are you still needing to dose cal and alk or has your cal and alk intake stopped?

If you don't mind what test kit brands are you using?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so just wondering, I started my tank backup last fall and things have been going pretty good. I posted a question a week or so ago about losing Torches and plates and somebody suggested checking magnesium, which when I got my test kit and tested was at 1200, so little low, I ordered BRS mag flake at the same time figuring it was going to be the problem or at least needing it in the future, so I dosed the tank to start bringing it up, only dosed half the first day and a little more the second day. Now 3 days later, I check all parameters and mag is way lower, 1050. ca 440, alk 9, is this maybe just the mg and ca and alk starting to react and consume that it is using even more? Dosed again tonight and will keep checking but just thought I would get peoples opinions.

Thanks in advance
Cary

That cannot be anything other than testing error. Magnesium cannot drop 150 ppm in 3 days under any circumstances that are attained in a reef tank. :)

OP
OP
Cary Meredith

Cary Meredith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if low mag. caused your coral deaths.

If mag. gets low it can take a lot of product and patients to bring it up.

Do you know what your phosphates and nitrates are?

During this time of low mag. are you still needing to dose cal and alk or has your cal and alk intake stopped?

If you don't mind what test kit brands are you using?

Phospates were at about .5 now 0 and nitrates were 0 and now at about .5, I had to turn my skimmer off for a little while but will be starting it back up in a few days. mag test kit is a salifert.

OP
OP
Cary Meredith

Cary Meredith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is finding the right balance. I find the higher the alk the more Ca and Mg are consumed. I keep my system around 8.5 alk. If you do not have a doser, I would advise getting one. A doser makes adjusting your amount so much easier.

Here is a dosing calculator Link
Yep plan on getting a doser have another thread looking for recommendations.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phospates were at about .5 now 0 and nitrates were 0 and now at about .5, I had to turn my skimmer off for a little while but will be starting it back up in a few days. mag test kit is a salifert.

Is your reef still in taking cal and alk or have your #'s froze? :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My calcium is froze, ALK is dropping slightly

If alk is dropping slightly, you won't notice the calcium drop that accompanies it because it is much smaller on a percentage basis. :)

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 132 74.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back