Old.alk and.cal mixes?! Can i use?

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guessing the answer is pour it out and make fresh new stuff but out of curiosity how long will this stuff stay? In liquid mixed form?
Is their a way to tell if its alk or cal in the blue lid container? Ty. Probably 1-3yrs old.
D

20210504_004307.jpg

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know, I recently found a couple jugs of calc and alk that are definitely over 10 years old (in cabinet of old stand in my garage). They were a little dusty, and when I opened them they didn’t look bad, but I just didn’t want to risk it, so down the drain they went (which got me wondering if there’s a better way to dispose of stuff like that).

swiss2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They easiest way to tell alk from ca is to pour a little in water. If the mixture turns milky as you pour then it’s alk. It’s all if it’s clear as you pour then it’s ca.

As for using 3 year old mixes, I’m not sure. Do you know the brand? How will you dose without knowing the potency?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They easiest way to tell alk from ca is to pour a little in water. If the mixture turns milky as you pour then it’s alk. It’s all if it’s clear as you pour then it’s ca.

To clarify, that needs to be seawater, not freshwater.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back