Old Jebao ok for saltwater?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jerryb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jerryb

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 29, 2022
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
michigan
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have acquired an old 350 gallon freshwater set up which I want to do a FOWLR set up - it came with 2 Jebao DCP 20000 pumps - From what I can gather this was probably set up prior to 2017. I am trying to determine if the pump is safe for saltwater as in it has ceramic instead of copper in it. No model numbers or serial numbers - any ideas on if this is same for salt?Thanks
 
I can't imagine that it wouldn't work for your tank. That pump could still have a few years of life in it. I would take it apart. Clean it. lubricate it
 
I don't think any aquarium pump has exposed copper. People have been using freshwater pumps in saltwater tanks for decades. The only potential problem is the impeller shaft. Open it up and take a look. If it's ceramic there's no problem. If it's metal it's probably still fine, but keep an eye on it in case it's a lesser grade of stainless steel.

It would also be a good idea to give them an acid soak (vinegar/citric acid) to dissolve any mineral deposits, and lube any o-rings with some silicone lube while you've got them apart.
 
I have acquired an old 350 gallon freshwater set up which I want to do a FOWLR set up - it came with 2 Jebao DCP 20000 pumps - From what I can gather this was probably set up prior to 2017. I am trying to determine if the pump is safe for saltwater as in it has ceramic instead of copper in it. No model numbers or serial numbers - any ideas on if this is same for salt?Thanks
I’ve ran my DCP on a reef for many years, and yesterday reinstalled it onto my frag tank. They are awesome while they work. Just make sure the hosing isn’t cracked and the bolts are not rusting.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new