Old Kalk residue inside ATO container

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 gallon ATO container that I used to supplement Kalk with 2 tsp to 1 gallon RODI ratio for over a year. Two months ago I stopped the Kalk dosing and using the pure RODI as ATO. But I notice there are huge layer of Kalk powder/deposit at the bottom, probably an inch thick or more. And every time I fill my RODI water into that container I get milky cloudy water.

Is there a way to check if the water has no kalk dissolved? I can confirm that I didn't see PH spike now as before when I was still dosing kalk. My PH stays 8~7.87 through out the day without adding kalk to top off water, as before with kalk top off I usually got PH 8.2 or higher value.

And is it necessary to clean the kalk deposit inside ATO container? It will be a pain to take that tall and thin container out, and it is more pain to clean it through the small opening. But the thick deposit dose look scary from outside...

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would clean it with vinegar. Probably make easy work of it.

OP
OP
coweyes298

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think I found the culprit. I have high Cal reading, close to 600 ppm. I used Randy's #2 receipt 2 parts. I want to lower the Ca so I stopped Ca but still maintain ALK dosing 7 days ago. My tank ALK consumption is around 1.2 dKH per day. After 7 days doing this my ALK is stable at 8 dKH, but Ca is still 600 ppm. There is something still adding Ca into my system.

Maybe the Kalk powder is still mixing everytime I added RODI water into the ATO container. I haven't calibrated my PH probe for six months so I cannot tell if the Kalk is still mixing inside my container even I stopped dosing Kalk for 2 to 3 months. The PH probe is stable around 7.9~8.0 for the course of these 3 months.

I just cleaned the ATO container and yes there were lots of undissolved Kalk inside. I will monitor the Ca value these days to make sure there is no additional Ca adding to my system.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back