Old meets new. Crash course on new technologies

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, if you read my intro, I'm very old school. Can you gales and guys, bring me up to date with latest technologies , terminologies, etc.... here. I'm familiar with some. Add picture or two if possible. Please help. Screenshot_2017-11-12-07-17-11.png

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back! A good place to start are the "stickies" you will see at the top of each category once you click on it.

Steve P

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no other way than to just dive in. I've been a lurker for the last few months, planning on a build probably after the holidays. I haven't been a reefer since the days of compact florescent lights and chillers, so there is a relearning curve.

dustint21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk reef supply videos on youtube have helped me a ton! Its alot of videos but the BRS160 build has a ton of great info!

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long you been away? I was out for a decade... settled right back in.

Lighting: I was all excited about LED's when I got back in. Couple years later, I'm back to T5's, thanks. So far, I've never found anything that surpasses T5's for coral health.
Skimmers: Haven't really changed, just got more efficient... and far more expensive.
Automatic dosing pumps have come a long way...
Controllers were fairly new when I got out. I picked up a Reefkeeper Lite this go round. Works great, dead simple, not much more expensive than a few good timers.
I was in during the DSB craze... all but gone these days.
Controlling nitrates and phosphates used to be a full time job. A decent refugeum and some GFO, and you'll be reading posts about people DOSING nitrate and phosphate.

Number one: Internet vendors! BRS (great vendor, but check their pricing before you order!) and many more. I'm out in the stix, so this one is a major asset to me.

Enjoy!

OP
OP
Dr. Dendrostein

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, if you read my intro, I'm very old school. Can you gales and guys, bring me up to date with latest technologies , terminologies, etc.... here. I'm familiar with some. Add picture or two if possible.Don't forget talk to like I'm a 4 year old. LOL... Please help. Screenshot_2017-11-12-07-17-11.png

Bradw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apexs are amazing well worth the initials investment especially if your away from your aquarium for any amount of time work travel ect. Lighting you can't go wrong with a t5 led hybrid seems to be the norm now adays. Depending on goals a sump and fuge to help nutrient export. Seems like wet dry filters were the rage many years ago. Jebco return pumps and power heads are great for the price and are comparable with the apex as well. There cost effective and last as long as other big name competitors but I'm sure other people with deeper pockets then mine will disagree. Products are hit and miss it seems like

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back