Old Oceanic 175g Bowfront - Reseal or Remove?

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old Oceanic 175g bowfront that has been sitting dry in the garage for 7 years. The tank is 13 years old. Since I went with cube tanks, it’s just been collecting dust.

Just wondering if it’s safe and worth it to reseal the seam or just get rid of it? Visually I’m not seeing any bubbles but the interior seals receded in some areas. I’m concerned about it bursting / leaking. Any thoughts?

IMG_4245.jpeg

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the silicon is still flexible when you push on it and isn’t discolored then it should be fine. Also check to see if there’s any cracks in the surface of the silicon.

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're not using it and it's in the garage.

Just fill it with tap water for a few weeks / months and see what happens?
Thanks. True and easy to do but given my luck, it might leak 13 months from now. So the questions are: what’s the “average” life of these seams (assume the tank has been well taken care of) and how can I identify potential leaks?

As long as the silicon is still flexible when you push on it and isn’t discolored then it should be fine. Also check to see if there’s any cracks in the surface of the silicon.
yes - thanks. That’s what I needed.

now, got some light scratches so will see if I can restore them.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back