Old salt

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20210613_201423044.jpg

So my dad used to keep salt tanks probably 35yrs ago and had some salt left over. Think this is still good?

I mean it's just salt right =P

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, 35 years is a long time... I can tell you that I have used 9-10 year old Trop and it mixed up fine. I had 1/2 a 5gal pail from my old 46g bow that I dug up in the attic when starting again. The brute in the garage also had trop SW with LR in it and that was still good after 8 years of sitting. A minor slime coat on top, but otherwise no issues and tested fine.

I would think as long as it didn't get moisture and is clumpy you should be good.... but I have even used 9-10 year old clumpy reef crystals fine in QT (tank switch method) and local inhabitants tanks. I wouldn't recommend it though.

Zer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
35 years is a long time. I would worry about stratification at that age. At the very least I would set aside anything solid pieces that have clumped together over time, if there are any of course.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try mixing a small batch and testing parameters?

Comes down to risk/reward. How much did all the fish and corals cost in your setup?

Zer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Comes down to risk/reward. How much did all the fish and corals cost in your setup?
Big +1 to this.

I had a 200G bucket of Oceanic that was 3/4 full, but it was 10 years old and had some large solidified chunks in it. I tossed the whole thing and bought a new box of IO. Just wasn’t worth taking the risk.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang y'all though .... aren't you curious? I'd love him to mix up a batch and run an ICP on that to see what it has absorbed over the years.
(Editing for clarity - no, I would not use it to support life.... but I would use it to melt ice on the driveway if I still lived in Jersey)

reefingaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bingo! I would not put anything in my tank that is that old, goor or bad the savings of the old salt is not worth it. The sand alone in my tank is with more than a bag of salt so why risk my fish,corals and time spent, on savings of using 35yr old salt. Even if parameters are still in line that’s a huge risk I would not take.

OP
OP
CourtNjoeZreef

CourtNjoeZreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang y'all though .... aren't you curious? I'd love him to mix up a batch and run an ICP on that to see what it has absorbed over the years.
(Editing for clarity - no, I would not use it to support life.... but I would use it to melt ice on the driveway if I still lived in Jersey)
I live in Jersey. Good point.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was in my dad's basement cool dry area. The bag feels soft and it flows around in it. In fact there is still air in the bag!

I might use a little and see what it does.
Please keep us updated ... my inner Bill Nye is very curious.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, alkalinity after it is clear and settled is a good gauge of the suitability. Calcium carbonate precipitation is the main event in aging salt mixes.

Back