Old Tanks of 21+ years. And I need some help here...

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PLEASE HELP ME..... Old tank set up, about a 265 gallon system. 125 gallon and a 100 gallon with a 100 gallon stock tank with a refugium inside it is not full ever..
This is my complete system one Iwaki pump runs it all. I do have about 180lbs of live rock since set up. My question is what is that white clear snotty stuff on the underside of the live rock..? And can it be eaten by copods, snails, crabs, or any cleaner fish..????? Please help me here as I don't want any crash's here.. I never had one before.. And don't want one either.. Just added some trochus snails and assorted others, one sand sifting star and a diamond goby . And just added Algae Barn Apocalypse pods yesterday. What will take care of this clear- white snotty stuff... anyone...?

Last edited:

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PLEASE HELP ME..... Old tank set up, about a 265 gallon system. 125 gallon and a 100 gallon with a 100 gallon stock tank with a refugium inside it is not full ever..
This is my complete system one Iwaki pump runs it all. I do have about 180lbs of live rock since set up. My question is what is that white clear snotty stuff on the underside of the live rock..? And can it be eaten by copods, snails, crabs, or any cleaner fish..????? Please help me here as I don't want any crash's here.. I never had one before.. And don't want one either.. Just added some trochus snails and assorted others, one sand sifting star and a diamond goby . And just added Algae Barn Apocalypse pods yesterday. What will take care of this clear- white snotty stuff... anyone...?
Need pics. Sounds like either sponge/tunicates or something died and it's bacteria.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read before about how old tanks can lose their biodiversity over time, losing strains of bacteria that are in normal reef tanks. If you look at my build thread, I did a micorbiome test this spring and was shocked at how low my diversity was. Somewhere around 10% diversiy. I added a bunch of mud and sand from IPSF, and my tank increased in diversity, up to 95%. I would recommend something along those lines to try to increase microbial diversity in your tank. Either real live rock, like the gulf stuff, or some kind of live sand directly from the ocean, not the bagged "live" sand from the shelves at Petco. Something to increase your biodiversity. I'm not going to claim that this will be the cure all for your problems, but there is certainly an argument to be made for the benefits of increased micro boidiversity. What you are describing, sounds like a bacterial bloom to me. So perhaps getting more bacteria strains in your tank will fill the niche that this bacterial bloom is currently taking. It would be interesting if you were patient enough, to do a microbiome test to see if you really are lacking in diversity, and then do a test after some sort of addition, to see if things improve.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you carbon dosing? I think this can cause what you are seeing.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Likely sponge or bacteria
Using a toothbrush will help determine.
Bacteria will come right off whereas sponge will require labor
For either- exposing rocks to air and allowing to dry should help remedy

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read before about how old tanks can lose their biodiversity over time, losing strains of bacteria that are in normal reef tanks. If you look at my build thread, I did a micorbiome test this spring and was shocked at how low my diversity was. Somewhere around 10% diversiy. I added a bunch of mud and sand from IPSF, and my tank increased in diversity, up to 95%. I would recommend something along those lines to try to increase microbial diversity in your tank. Either real live rock, like the gulf stuff, or some kind of live sand directly from the ocean, not the bagged "live" sand from the shelves at Petco. Something to increase your biodiversity. I'm not going to claim that this will be the cure all for your problems, but there is certainly an argument to be made for the benefits of increased micro boidiversity. What you are describing, sounds like a bacterial bloom to me. So perhaps getting more bacteria strains in your tank will fill the niche that this bacterial bloom is currently taking. It would be interesting if you were patient enough, to do a microbiome test to see if you really are lacking in diversity, and then do a test after some sort of addition, to see if things improve.
I agree that this can not hurt and may help the issue you are seeing. It is difficult to diagnose without a pic, however.

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This issue is massive.. Under all rocks and comes off so easily just by shaking a rock under the water.. It really is massive.. I did try to clean one end of the 120 gallon tank, I bushed all rocks and pulled them out while doing so.. Holly what a job... rinsed each in saltwater and bushed very well. But there is so stinkin much in just this tank.. And I just know it will come back again soon... I am at wits end here... Please any suggestions...

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely sponge or bacteria
Using a toothbrush will help determine.
Bacteria will come right off whereas sponge will require labor
For either- exposing rocks to air and allowing to dry should help remedy
I just know its Bacteria... Can I get something to eat this up...?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you carbon dosing? I think this can cause what you are seeing.
I had a white clearish slime outbreak a while back and everyone asked me if I was Carbon dosing. I didn't even know what carbon dosing was. I was having to change filter socks 5 times a dy. N03 went to 0. Ammonia rose for a few days. I think it was from Alcohol in hand sanitizer. The sanitizer I have been using is really thick like gel and takes forever to wash off. I think that is what did it.

I added Bactor 7 and TLC Aquarium Optimizer slime remover. I worked tank cycled back in 4 or 5 days. Lost nothing.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back