Old wound and cautionary to those trading

Acroconut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some years ago I was offered the opportunity to trade with a prominent and published reef aquarist in my local area. I was so excited that someone of that caliber would want to to swap frags with me that I conceded. I went to his house and was completely amazed by the size of his tank and the diversity of life in it and I really didn't pay much attention to the fact that he took my bags of frags and dropped them into a holding area. After much chit chat I left with absolutely no frags from this so called trade. Don't let someones name dazzle you with BS. I look back on this (early 2000's) and think I should have said "what are you giving me in trade?" Instead I was taken in by a big name. I should have picked up my marbles and walked. You live and learn and I won't be fooled again even though people in this hobby are held in high regard.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some years ago I was offered the opportunity to trade with a prominent and published reef aquarist in my local area. I was so excited that someone of that caliber would want to to swap frags with me that I conceded. I went to his house and was completely amazed by the size of his tank and the diversity of life in it and I really didn't pay much attention to the fact that he took my bags of frags and dropped them into a holding area. After much chit chat I left with absolutely no frags from this so called trade. Don't let someones name dazzle you with BS. I look back on this (early 2000's) and think I should have said "what are you giving me in trade?" Instead I was taken in by a big name. I should have picked up my marbles and walked. You live and learn and I won't be fooled again even though people in this hobby are held in high regard.
Perhaps it was an honest mistake? I know I get carried away talking sometimes I forget things.

Edit: almost forgot... Welcome to r2r!

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always follow up with the person later and ask for a frag of something. When I trade with friends, it usually isn't a direct swap. I may give them coral one day, and a month or so later, they give me coral. With someone you just met though, I suggest outlining the terms of the trade ahead of time, but it is on you to verify you get your fair share.
Remember that the "big name" reefers are people, and subject to the same mistakes that us "normal" folks make too. If you communicate with them, you may find they are just as eager to talk to you, a fellow reefer as well. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Acroconut

Acroconut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you not realize you were leaving without your frags or did you realize it and were just afraid to speak up?
At that time there didn't seem to be too many women reef tank hobbyists. I know when I posted over on reef central back then a lot of guys seemed kind of surprised when they found out they were talking to a woman. I was a bit shy and a little overwhelmed and so I didn't speak up and ask him what he was willing to trade, and since I wasn't the one who initiated the trade in the first place I was afraid of coming off as being rude. That and he had my phone # so he could have called and said hey we didn't work out a trade for your frags. I was just a little disappointed that it went down the way it did, but yes I should have spoke up.

OP
OP
Acroconut

Acroconut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1670986160388.jpeg
Pic of my reef back in 2001. With the exception of the pulsing zenia I wish I'd never broke it down.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! This is all part of life imo. It's easy to say to speak up but, in the moment, it's often difficult for many people. I think it's a great cautionary story though, thanks for sharing!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back