Older return pump

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the mag 5 pump lose power over time? Mine is over 5 years old thinking about replacing it. It's on a 58 gallon tank with a four foot overhead.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, but the impeller is the only wearable part. Replace that (it's cheap) before you replace the pump, IMO.

What makes you suspect that's happening?

Use a bucket or something to measure the actual output from the return or from the drain to see what you're getting.

OP
OP
Cflip

Cflip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like there isn't enough flow from my return pump. Even when it was new. I'm guessing around 350 gallons per hour.

Mnk9569

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run one on a tank similar I just gate valved it a fine tuned put locline diffuser to make it less violence

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
58 gallons of display would call for anywhere between 120 GPH and 240 GPH, so it really should be fine.

What size plumbing? Is the plumbing simple or complicated?

The Model 5 is rated for about 250 GPH at 5' of head, so it really should be fine. Perfect, in fact. :)

http://www.dannermfg.com/Store/images/instructions/ZG120.pdf

More flow than that actually tends to be more bother and expense than it's worth anyway. It is much better for flow in the display to come from powerheads.

Mnk9569

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem it was just suggestion I have mine ran with 1 inch pvc splits to each side then a y coming out locline and 2 thin deflectors to disperse it on both side the diffuser really cuts it down I just had a 9.5 so I built around that but I'm sure you can replace 14 dollar impellar and your pump should be great again I just replace a impellar on a mag 12 it was like new again the magnet had some chips that were making noise marine depot got it for 14.95 free shipping

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 48 25.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 48 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 43 22.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 47 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back