Oldude Reef Pix

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, your tank is breathtaking! everything looks amazingly healthy and fully extended. colors are brilliant. I really liked that picture of the favia with the blue streak - very unique - looks like a waterfall running through it.

OP
OP
Oldude

Oldude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, your tank is breathtaking! everything looks amazingly healthy and fully extended. colors are brilliant. I really liked that picture of the favia with the blue streak - very unique - looks like a waterfall running through it.
Thank you very much for the compliments.

tone51057

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! You are not running Zeo or dosing carbon. What are you relying on to keep nutrients low? Refugium? Any pics of the other equipment running this system. Great job!

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank and outstanding collection of corals. The color diversity throughout the tank is fantastic. And your coral diversity and health is great too. My SPS are doing well, and yet my leather is withering and some LPS are not happy. To keep all the different corals looking so well is a great accomplishment.

Dave B

OP
OP
Oldude

Oldude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! You are not running Zeo or dosing carbon. What are you relying on to keep nutrients low? Refugium? Any pics of the other equipment running this system. Great job!
No refugium - just live rock, skimmer & the sump. I do have some soft corals which I am sure provide some nutrient export for the system.
What equipment would you like to see?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oldude

Oldude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank and outstanding collection of corals. The color diversity throughout the tank is fantastic. And your coral diversity and health is great too. My SPS are doing well, and yet my leather is withering and some LPS are not happy. To keep all the different corals looking so well is a great accomplishment.

Dave B
Thanks for the compliment. Yes it can be challenging to keep all the different types of corals happy, in fact it's darn hard! I have plenty of corals that are not looking so hot, I just don't post pictures of them.:squigglemouth:

tone51057

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No refugium - just live rock, skimmer & the sump. I do have some soft corals which I am sure provide some nutrient export for the system.
What equipment would you like to see?
I like the fact that you use the simple approach and it looks like you're very successful growing sps, without Zeo or carbon dosing. I like to see how people are running their systems and the equipment used to maintain it, skimmers, sump/refugium, water change station,etc. I think it's interesting to see the different ways people in this hobby achieve success. Have you always run this way or like many of us, tried the latest, greatest? All grown from frags over the years? Thanks, Tony

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greg,

In one of your posts you mentioned 200 corals. I have a similar quantity. I have people that don't believe me and come over all the time and try to count. It's amazing when you start counting and you realize how many different pieces you have. Years ago, I enjoyed counting them more because I could remember where and whom I had gotten each coral from, and remember what it had started out as. Many of my corals come home as brown ugly corals, I either like the growth and structure or I feel sorry for them. I have photos of some of them, but my memory as to where the originated from is shot.

Part of the types of corals not mixing dumbfounds me. I have a toadstool leather in my display tank that is barely ever polyped and has diminished in size. I have tried it in 5-8 locations in the tank. I have another piece in my outdoor frag tank (same water, same system) that is flourishing. I had 2 big neon sinularia in the tank. They were 2' apart, both on the bottom. One is doing great and the other one withered for 6 months. I have probably 2 dozen different pieces of Euphyllia in various stages of health, and yet my Duncans and Elegance corals flourish. I guess if this hobby was simple everyone would have a tank looking like yours :)

Dave B

OP
OP
Oldude

Oldude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the fact that you use the simple approach and it looks like you're very successful growing sps, without Zeo or carbon dosing. I like to see how people are running their systems and the equipment used to maintain it, skimmers, sump/refugium, water change station,etc. I think it's interesting to see the different ways people in this hobby achieve success. Have you always run this way or like many of us, tried the latest, greatest? All grown from frags over the years? Thanks, Tony
Thank you Tony. I have tried various carbon dosing techniques over the years, "Polyp Labs, Bio Pellets & Prodibio with mixed results. I just find it to be one less thing I have to deal with. I will try and dig up some equipment & fish room pictures to post for you.

OP
OP
Oldude

Oldude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greg,

In one of your posts you mentioned 200 corals. I have a similar quantity. I have people that don't believe me and come over all the time and try to count. It's amazing when you start counting and you realize how many different pieces you have. Years ago, I enjoyed counting them more because I could remember where and whom I had gotten each coral from, and remember what it had started out as. Many of my corals come home as brown ugly corals, I either like the growth and structure or I feel sorry for them. I have photos of some of them, but my memory as to where the originated from is shot.

Part of the types of corals not mixing dumbfounds me. I have a toadstool leather in my display tank that is barely ever polyped and has diminished in size. I have tried it in 5-8 locations in the tank. I have another piece in my outdoor frag tank (same water, same system) that is flourishing. I had 2 big neon sinularia in the tank. They were 2' apart, both on the bottom. One is doing great and the other one withered for 6 months. I have probably 2 dozen different pieces of Euphyllia in various stages of health, and yet my Duncans and Elegance corals flourish. I guess if this hobby was simple everyone would have a tank looking like yours :)

Dave B
Thanks Dave. Yeah sometimes it seems there is no rhyme or reason to why some corals do well & others don't. Some days all you can do is hope you are holding your tongue in the right position. :wink:

OP
OP
Oldude

Oldude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old picture of my Euroreef RC500 skimmer but it still looks pretty much the same.
I have a hole drilled in the collection cup to drain into a 5 gallon bucket and another
hole at the top of that bucket with a bulkhead & plumbing to drain back to the sump
in case of an overflow if the skimmer goes crazy during a snail spawning event or like issue.
That way it doesn't end up on the floor - learned my lesson the hard way.
skimmeraug28.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oldude

Oldude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a few pix from the 130 gallon tank In the fish room

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 91 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 15.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back