Olive oil in tank

n05stang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I asked my wife to feed my fish, I had a small container of olive oil under the tank to occasional grease up the squeaking doors, she thought this was the Red Sea coral food and added it to the tank. Now my sump has oil floating on the water and my skimmer is acting up. How do I get this oil out of the tank? Will the skimmer take it out over time? Is this dangerous for the tank?

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not heard of this happening before. Skimmer and carbon may help. If it was in a red sea coral food bottle then sadly it was asking for trouble.

OP
OP
N

n05stang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was not in the bottle, it was in a one of those little screw lid Tupperware containers. Apparently it looked yellow enough that she assumed it was the coral food.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No big deal in my opinion. It will probably get caught up in filter pads where mechanical filtration takes place.

If it really bothers you, you can shut off your pumps and use an 60cc irrigation syringe to suction the oil from the water surface.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rate this as not harmful. even withdrawn corals if it happens can be just sensitivity changes this is not harmful overall. Among mistakes possible it’s a tame one

i would prefer this to a pepper or spice accident

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%

Back