Olive Snails

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaaalrighty so my friends brought me back some critters from the beach. One of the critters is a Lettered olive Snail. I’ve heard they’ll eat Shrimp and microfauna but I’ve also heard they’re voracious algae eaters. Can anyone give me information or anything on them? I’d like to keep them alive.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much what Sierra_Bravo said. They are predators that mostly feed on bivalves in the wild. I have kept them in the past in fish only tank and they are fun to watch when their "periscope" sniffs out a piece of dead shrimp and they "run" across the tank to attack!

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much what Sierra_Bravo said. They are predators that mostly feed on bivalves in the wild. I have kept them in the past in fish only tank and they are fun to watch when their "periscope" sniffs out a piece of dead shrimp and they "run" across the tank to attack!
Can you feed them shrimp? To where they won’t eat microfauna?

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are opportunistic feeders. Will they eat shrimp? You bet. Will they leave other stuff alone? Not sure I would take that bet. What type of conch? You could sell tickets and see which one eats which, lol!

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are opportunistic feeders. Will they eat shrimp? You bet. Will they leave other stuff alone? Not sure I would take that bet. What type of conch? You could sell tickets and see which one eats which, lol!
A Florida Fighting Conch, the size of the palm of my hand. They’re about thumb big. I definitely would but I love my Conch

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to look up olive snails, I never heard of them. Everything says not reef safe; will eat other snails, conches and clams. Witnessing your bring home of Kimmy thread, get rid of the olive snail so something bad doesn’t happen.

Abalone Lover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Florida Fighting Conch, the size of the palm of my hand. They’re about thumb big. I definitely would but I love my Conch
I have th exact same concern. I hear they eat bristle worms, but will they draw the line at an abalone? I have had the abalone for several years now & she eats out of my hand. I don't want to lose her!

Milian100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know about all this although even brine shrim they will eat, is that umm my dottyback fish is missing. A whole fish! I have 2 big ones in there and I think they are a whole fish!!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back