Olivine impact on Reef tank

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ReefKeepers, Came across a giant ship built by UCLA in LA harbor which runs Olivine reactors. Their claims are its slow dissolving and helps with Alk and CA by removing co2 from water.

If someone has already used it please share your experience .

If not - Would like to run a spare reactor on my spare fully established tank and would like to record the readings in that case

-- What would you like me to record / observe ?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot see this being useful in a reef tank. Diatoms, anyone?

Furthermore, the release of toxic elements such as nickel has been subject to speculations about a possible negative effect on the environment if olivine is applied in coastal ecosystems

"Researchers at the GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research in Germany recently dissolved fine-grained sand made up primarily of olivine in artificial seawater. Over a period of 134 days, they found, the water’s alkalinity actually decreased. This and other factors reduced the amount of carbon removed by a factor of five compared with olivine’s theoretical potential, according to the researchers."

OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what my biggest concern is - I expect to see diatoms, algae bloom and many other things -

The reason i feel okie to testing it out on an external reactor is because my primary tank being separate and secondary tank has minimal live stock which i wont mind putting through a bit of stress.

I guess a ICP at the beginning and end of every 30 days would be a good start.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back