Omg I got home most of my fish dead!!!??

OP
OP
Nhjmc

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m sure I’ll get crucified for this but no I’ve never QT new fish. Not gonna lie. Hadn’t added any new fish for months till two weeks ago.....a mandarin which seems to be doing great colors bright and out and about grazing on/off live rock all day. The other two fish that survived don’t have ich but aren’t eating like usual. What do I do guys??
And yes corals look fine same as always have.

I’m Batman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where’d you buy the Purigen? The packs I get from Amazon smell funny and seem to be old or maybe defects. Pitched them and never used Purigen again since it’s not convenient anymore - all my corals grew 3x- 5x over the next year..

OP
OP
Nhjmc

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where’d you buy the Purigen? The packs I get from Amazon smell funny and seem to be old or maybe defects. Pitched them and never used Purigen again since it’s not convenient anymore - all my corals grew 3x- 5x over the next year..
Purchased the purigen from saltwater aquarium.com it arrived and same day rinsed under tap water took spent bag of purigen out put new into lowest chamber of Intank media basket.

OP
OP
Nhjmc

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased the purigen from saltwater aquarium.com it arrived and same day rinsed under tap water took spent bag of purigen out put new into lowest chamber of Intank media basket.
I buy most of my supplies from saltwater aquarium.com and have purchased additives and such from amazon.

OP
OP
Nhjmc

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or could of been the two jars of pods I recently added?!....

Attachments

• 77365844-BA27-4DA9-A5F6-31F4F13DC623.png
    77365844-BA27-4DA9-A5F6-31F4F13DC623.png
    420.3 KB · Views: 15

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh geez... I never thought to check those! I always buy pods for my Ruby Red Dragonets from Algae Barn. I’m following your thread because I’m really interested in the answers but now this just gave me another thing to keep in mind! :)

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m sure I’ll get crucified for this but no I’ve never QT new fish. Not gonna lie. Hadn’t added any new fish for months till two weeks ago.....a mandarin which seems to be doing great colors bright and out and about grazing on/off live rock all day. The other two fish that survived don’t have ich but aren’t eating like usual. What do I do guys??
Not crucified, but I'm wondering whether disease is a potential culprit. Mandarins are very hardy due to their slime coat, so they don't always show disease. I'd keep an eye on your remaining fish and use your judgement as to whether they are ill/need to be treated.
Perhaps ... What's your tank volume? When did you add them? Did your dead fish have red gills, and are your remaining fish breathing fast (>160 gill beats/min)? I've never had an issue adding pod water to my system (~50G), but in a smaller tank that could cause issues. If that ammonia caused your fish to die, then your remaining fish will be fine, albeit with some ammonia burns (your tank should cycle the ammonia in 1-2d).

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tap water. I live in the sticks my tap water tds is a 9. I don’t use the rodi water I have to buy for rinsing and directions on purigen packet say “rinse well with tap water”. It wasn’t that don’t believe anyway. Culprit... Scented candles and febreeze from what I’ve read anyway. Feel like a total butt head but I didn’t know but not gonna lie. Lesson learned. What sucks is I didn’t spray febreeze next to my tank but apparently it was close enough.
Run your air line to the skimmer outdoors or put a carbon air filter on the skimmer air line to remove any toxins from the air. This may help.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then the poster can pm me. I'm tired of vendors/companies getting away with everything and treating customers like nothing but a cash cow.
I totally agree but you must have missed (or pretended not to see) my post about api tests giving false ammonia results.

In the review with the "ammonia filled" pods the reviewer stated that "not many pods were moving". Your telling me that you believe that some of those tiny pods in that tiny bottle survived the ammonia but the fish in a larger tank were decimated? That's rediculas!

OP
OP
Nhjmc

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back