Clown fish diagnosis

Khamisa10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

Wondering if you guys can give me some idea on what's happening to my tank. I only had 2 clown fish which were perfectly fine for about 5 to 6 months. Today I came home from work and found the male dead laying on sand. And the female is acting odd. I checked the parameters as follows:
Temperature 27c
Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0.5
Nitrate 20
I have added a video. Thank you

20240206_224347.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you added anything else to the tank - are there invertebrates? If so, are they ok? I only see a picture not a video - can you describe the abnormal behavior? I don't see anything obvious in the picture. It could be the female was bullying the male before breeding, etc? Can you think of anything else you might have done?

OP
OP
K

Khamisa10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you added anything else to the tank - are there invertebrates? If so, are they ok? I only see a picture not a video - can you describe the abnormal behavior? I don't see anything obvious in the picture. It could be the female was bullying the male before breeding, etc? Can you think of anything else you might have done?
Nope.. Been wanting to add cleaner shrimp and nassarius but not come around to doing so. The female did bully but very minimal. I didnt think it was anything to worry about. Male kept swimming with the female. Did not show any signs of stress. Not sure why the video hasn't been uploaded will try to attach to this post. Thank you

Attachments

• 20240206_224337.mp4
    23.7 MB

musel101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

Wondering if you guys can give me some idea on what's happening to my tank. I only had 2 clown fish which were perfectly fine for about 5 to 6 months. Today I came home from work and found the male dead laying on sand. And the female is acting odd. I checked the parameters as follows:
Temperature 27c
Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0.5
Nitrate 20

20240206_224347.jpg
Did you upload the video to YouTube?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all!

Temperature 27c
Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0.5
Nitrate 20

20240206_224347.jpg
The swimming action and breathing are indicators of brooklynella. I dont see signs of aggression to indicate part of issue.
Have you seen a loss of appetite as well as leyjargic behavior over the last 48 hours?

OP
OP
K

Khamisa10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The swimming action and breathing are indicators of brooklynella. I dont see signs of aggression to indicate part of issue.
Have you seen a loss of appetite as well as leyjargic behavior over the last 48 hours?
Ah okay. But can it appear without adding anything new? Also no sign of scratching on objects or anything on skin. However, definitely loss of appetite but still eating. No don't notice it being lethargic.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ah okay. But can it appear without adding anything new? Also no sign of scratching on objects or anything on skin. However, definitely loss of appetite but still eating. No don't notice it being lethargic.
A 5 minute FW dip in water same temperature as display tank will offer TEMPORARY relief. Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope.. Been wanting to add cleaner shrimp and nassarius but not come around to doing so. The female did bully but very minimal. I didnt think it was anything to worry about. Male kept swimming with the female. Did not show any signs of stress. Not sure why the video hasn't been uploaded will try to attach to this post. Thank you

The very rapid breathing, with the absence of skin mucus tends to point to velvet, (Amyloodinium), or a water quality issue. If you have corals/invertebrates in the tank and they are doing fine, you can usually rule out water quality issues, so that kind of leaves velvet.

To treat that, you would need to dose coppersafe in a treatment tank, but to be honest, if it is velvet, that disease kills so quickly that when one fish in a group dies from it, there is little time left to treat the remaining fish - sorry.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back