OMG, opened a window, raised pH.

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pH was sagging—went from 8 down to 7.7, and the trend was continuing during the day (probably more slowly during daytime but I can’t really tell). My Alk was also rising, which...grrrr frustrating.

Did my usual WC. No change. Not even with the insane influx of alkalinity that my purple container IO normally brings with it.

So I opened a window. Now, we live in a hundred year old house that is the farthest thing from airtight anywhere.

Well, what do you know. OVERNIGHT, with the lights off, the pH went back to its normal range.

I really thought the whole outside air thing was just the usual reefer madness we all suffer from. Maybe not!

OP
OP
rmurken

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was roasting a chicken all day and it just stripped by .1. I wonder?! That’s two floors away. Will watch and see if there is any correlation between running out (gas) oven for a long time and pH. Seems unlikely.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really thought the whole outside air thing was just the usual reefer madness we all suffer from. Maybe not!

It might involve madness as well, but the chemistry is entirely ordinary. :)

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a "fresh Air Line" Hose from outside to my skimmer and it made a WORLD of difference. I was struggling to get into the 8.0 range now I stick around 8.15! I also run an apex system so it turns my skimmer on anytime I go below 8.05. It has really made a huge difference in my Reef!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was roasting a chicken all day and it just stripped by .1. I wonder?! That’s two floors away. Will watch and see if there is any correlation between running out (gas) oven for a long time and pH. Seems unlikely.

A gas stove and oven produce much more CO2 than a couple of people do.

ReefRy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your feelings on candles? My wife really likes to burn scented candles throughout our house. I have to say I dont mind the smell, but as my ph is already only 8.0 Im too nervous to have them in the fish/family room. Is a single candle 10 feet from the tank an issue? Or multiple candles in other rooms?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any CO2 in the home will drop PH. This is a large reason why the reefs around the world are dying. To much CO2 causing PH to be to low and creating acidic conditions.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your feelings on candles? My wife really likes to burn scented candles throughout our house. I have to say I dont mind the smell, but as my ph is already only 8.0 Im too nervous to have them in the fish/family room. Is a single candle 10 feet from the tank an issue? Or multiple candles in other rooms?

think in terms of heat produced, which is a decent surrogate for CO2. One candle is less than a person. A hundred candles might be more. A stove is lots of candles.

ReefRy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read your response to my wife. She said, "does that mean I can burn candles"? To which I replied, "yep"! Thanks, Mr. Holmes-Farley!

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a gas stove or burner running I can watch the CO2 jump by a few hundred ppm within an hour.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is simply untrue.
ok, if you say so. However please post your resources to back up your point of view.

These are some of the few sources I have.

and more... just use your web search engine of choice and type in “Ocean Acidification”

Last edited:

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AZMSGT, you said

"Any CO2 in the home will drop PH. This is a large reason why the reefs around the world are dying. To much CO2 causing PH to be to low and creating acidic conditions. "

None of the links you provided support what you are suggesting! There are no reefs dying due to ocean acidification.
This is only an hypothesis of what may happen in the future, and its a hypothesis based on incorrect assumptions.

The suggested fall in pH unit of 0.1 over the past 200 years is not a measured value, its a calculated value using a computer model, again based on incorrect assumptions. They do not know to any degree of accuracy what the pH was in any area of The Great Barrier Reef 200 years before now. It may have been higher or lower. But it most likely would be somewhat different to now due to natural processes other than atmospheric co2 levels.

The effect of intermittently high levels of indoor co2 on the pH in any aquarium varies from system to system depending on how each system is set up because this changes the processes taking place. For example, my pH does not fall with intermittently high indoor co2 levels because the algae scrubber I use is very effective & the algae assimilates the excess co2. And the limited processes in dealing with co2 in any aquarium cannot be compared with the far more complex processes taking place in the ocean.

Consider this; you're suggesting that high atmospheric co2 levels will significantly lower surface water pH to a degree where calcification (the forming of calcium carbonate structures) will cease & calcifying organisms will die.

This graph is interesting. The white boxes - A, B, C, D, & E, represent known Major reef building episodes by calcifying organisms over the geological timescale. The black line represents atmospheric co2 levels & the blue line temperature.

Note box A & B in particular. Despite atmospheric CO2 levels above 5,000ppm in A, & as high a 4,000ppm in B, reef building organisms were able to calcify without any problem.

Box E represents the major reef building period of the corals we have today, the scleractinian corals, with CO2 at 2,000ppm.
Interesting is the prediction that co2 increases will cause ocean acidifciation, lowering pH & greatly affecting calcification.

This record destroys this theory & shows that deep ocean up-welling & surface organism primary production controls ocean upper layer pH levels, not atmospheric CO2 levels.

1572300385478.png

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 22.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back